I slipped away and made a quick stop into Waechter's this morning. Judith couldn't believe I've made FIVE muslins for this dress. After helping me get inspired for my next project (possibly another Colette dress), she introduced me to a Swedish independent designer who makes patterns for my body type. There's a trouser pattern I'll be purchasing soon.
The Macaron. This one was tough, but the final version is going to be Oh So Worth It.
Here's the wearable muslin of the Macaron.
The fabric is a cheap flannel that I picked up at a swap. It was free, and it'll be nice this winter. Rather than fussing with matching the plaids, I just cut the waists and yokes on the bias. (I remembered seeing Lee's version last winter, which is when the Macaron caught my eye.) The darts (mostly) line up, but it's hard to see the detail with this busy print.
Here are the adjustments I've made so far:
- Added piping to the top of the bodice pieces.
- Cut a size 0 for the yokes, tapered from a size 0 to a 4 on the boob part, and used a size 4 for the waist section.
- Removed the bust dart completely.
- Added over an inch to height of the waist.
- Added .5 inches to the waist width.
- Removed .5 inches from the back center piece height.
- Cut a size 4 skirt, but modified the width of the darts in the back because the seams didn't match up. (Still not sure what happened there.)
These are the changes I'll make in the final version (in addition to the ones already made):
- Shave a bit off the hips.
- Widen boob section. (I was still an inch off in making it match with the waist piece.)
- Widen shoulders a .5 inch on each side (and corresponding facings).
- Figure out why my back skirt is an inch narrower than the skirt front.
In theory it should go together quickly now that I've done it so many times!
**You can track my Macaron progress here**