Thursday, September 13, 2012

Completed: Bias Skirt Remix (PR&P Week 1)

This week's challenge over at Project Run and Play was to re-mix the "A Very Biased Skirt" tutorial from Katy at No Big Dill.

Here's what I came up with.

When I first read the challenge and started thinking about working with bias strips, I immediately thought of weaving them. I played around with the idea of a peplum, but in the end settled on a short-bodiced dress with leggings. 


The woven bias strips continue all around the bodice.


Here's my favorite detail -- the crossover back. It buttons, but I only had clear buttons in the right size. (All the materials for this project came from my stash.)


Here's a close-up of the woven bodice.

For the leggings I used this tutorial from Make It Love It. It only takes two pattern pieces, which I drafted using another pair of Eliza's leggings. Ashley enthusiastically supports using a double needle for knits and even has a nifty tip for attaching the extra thread spool to your machine if there's not a place built in. (My machine doesn't have a place for a second spool, so I used toothpicks taped to the machine to hold the extra thread. Worked like a charm!)

The double needle is my new best friend, and Eliza will have lots more of these leggings this winter.

There are a few things I'd change if I did it over again, but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out. I learned several new techniques -- making my own bias tape, practice with drafting my own patterns, and using a double needle.

Seriously, head on over to the Project Run & Play Flikr group. (I've linked it correctly this time.) I want these moms to adopt me and start sewing my clothes!

(The pictures are from our visit to Sky Top Orchard today. Lovely backdrop. It's apple season in the mountains, which means it's almost leaf season. That makes me very happy.)

5 comments:

  1. I love that you made this pattern up! That's fantastic! It looks just like a professional jumper pattern I have! This is a great all-season dress. Put a turtle neck under it and she can wear it all winter. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHY do I keep forgetting about turtlenecks? Duh! That just made my day.

      Delete
    2. I used a couple of patterns as guides. Eliza's so petite it's hard to use standard patterns, though. She's still wearing some 3-6 month stuff!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...