Monday, November 26, 2012

Completed: Thanksgiving Tunic & Leggings


We're on the second week of a two-week traveling adventure. The kids are sick, and I've caught it just in time for the marathon. Joy.

Our Thanksgiving was lovely. We were in Indiana and Kentucky with Ryan's family. The weather allowed us to explore Ryan's grandparents' farm, and we spent time with family we haven't seen since last Thanksgiving.

I finished Eliza's Thanksgiving outfit before we left. The brown pants and shirt were made from a pair of Ryan's mom's velvet gouchos. They were so soft and beautiful.


Once again, I used Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee pattern and modified it into a turtleneck. It looked awesome. I even went to the trouble of changing my serger thread to match. The only problem -- it wouldn't fit over her head. The material was stretchy, but apparently not that stretchy.  

After trying for five minutes, she was furious, so I gave up. Then I tried unpicking the seam down the back of the neck, splitting it open, and hand sewing it closed. It looked adorable but still wouldn't fit over her head.

The leggings were perfect. They looked store-bought.


For the tunic, I used the basic dress pattern from Lotta Jandstotter's Simple Sewing for Baby again. The green corduroy came from my Grandma Jean's sewing stash (again). The turkey template was courtesy of The Cottage Mama's tutorial, and the fabric for the tail was also from Grandma's stash -- vintage feed sacks.



After I got over the top not fitting, I used a white turtleneck as substitute. (Lucky for me I scored another white turtleneck on Just Ducky's Cyber Monday sale this morning. LOVE those white turtlenecks!)

She dabbled in a little makeup at the children's museum.


As much as I adore this pattern and combination, it's time to branch out a little bit and try something new. Up next - a couple of jackets. Maybe a pleated top? Some skinny jeans for the boy? A smocked bishop in corduroy for Christmas? The list grows and grows and grows. . . 

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I like it with the white turtleneck. I think Plan B worked out really well! And that turkey applique is perfect! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. Love it!
    I actually prefer it with the white- looks fresher and lets the colours in the turkey pop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...