Monday, December 10, 2012

Mealtime Monday

Sunday nights I plan our menu and grocery list for the week. So, why not try out another series around here and share a recipe from the week? Some may be tried-and-true favorites, and some may be new successes. Some may be kid-friendly in your house; none will be kid-friendly in mine.

This week I'm sharing a macaroni and cheese recipe that makes me want to bury my face in my plate. The boys do not like macaroni and cheese. I know. I've questioned their genetic link to me. I've tried homemade, boxed, and somewhere in between. No go. It's quite disturbing.

Eliza, my little angel, gobbled up this recipe quicker than we could shovel it onto her plate.

Here's my alluring photo. Problem is, I forgot to take it until after we served it up. Pretend it's all there. It was really  pretty.


Enough talk. Here's the recipe. It's adapted from Martha Stewart's Perfect Macaroni and Cheese. And you know, Martha Knows Perfect.

Macaroni and Cheese
serves 6 (or four if you're Ryan and Michelle)

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 3/4 cups milk
10 oz macaroni noodles (We prefer whole wheat, but whatever.)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar*
3/4 cup grated Gruyere* (I used smoked Gruyere because it was all Bi-Lo had and it was awesome.)
3/4 cup mozzarella* (Here I used a mozzarella/provolone blend.)
About a cup of Panko breadcrumbs

*You can vary the cheeses. Also, these amounts are estimates.

1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat milk in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in medium skillet with high sides. When butter bubbles, add flour. Stir constantly and cook for 1 minute.
2.  Gradually pour milk into flour/butter mixture, whisking constantly. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and gets thicker.
3. Also meanwhile, cook macaroni noodles. Undercook them a tad -- maybe a little less than a dente. Once cooked, put the noodles in a colander and run cold water over them. Drain. Set aside.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, pepper, and 1 1/2 cup of the cheddar, 1/2 cup Gruyere, and 1/2 cup mozzarella.
5. Stir macaroni into cheese sauce.
6. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. Toss with breadcrumbs.
7. Pour the macaroni mixture into a 1.5 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheddar, 1/4 cup Gruyere, and 1/4 cup mozzarella. Top with sprinkled breadcrumbs. Bake until browned on top - about 30 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. looks delish! I love a good mac n cheese recipe. My oldest doesn't like pizza. pizza. weird kid, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My middle doesn't like pizza either. Before I had kids, I assumed all kids liked pizza, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, and pudding. At least one of my kids doesn't like at least one of those things. They're all weird!!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...