Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Date Night: The Only Resolution

I'm a New Year's Resolution Queen. Unless you count all the failed resolutions. Then I'm just the Queen's incompetent stepsister.

This year I've got one resolution. Have a weekly date night with my husband.

Here's how I imagine date night plans going.

MICHELLE: Les Mis is coming out on Christmas day. That's my favorite musical of all time. I've seen it twice in the theaters.
RYAN: That sounds great! I'll call my mom and ask them to babysit.
MICHELLE: No, your folks kept them last weekend for our date night. I'll call my parents. They'll be thrilled.

Here's how date night plans actually go.

MICHELLE: Les Mis is coming out on Christmas day. That's my favorite musical of all time. I've seen it twice in the theaters.
RYAN: I know. I went with you once. Why do you need to see it again?
MICHELLE: Hello?! Anne Hathaway! Hugh Jackman! Russell Crowe! The trailer gave me chills and made me cry.
RYAN: So, who's keeping the kids?
Michelle slaps forehead when she remembers their parents live eight hours away
MICHELLE: Sigh. I'll figure it out.

Then I proceed to email/call the three babysitters we've found who are A) able to drive and/or live close by, B) able/willing to keep three kids five and under, and C) available.

When I strike out, I beg Ryan to find somebody at the hospital. He does (eventually). In the past it's been an intern, a director's daughter, etc.

The night of the event, I scramble to get dinner ready so all the babysitter has to do is serve it up, play with the kids for a bit, and then put everybody to bed. I try my best to put on mascara and pray Ryan doesn't have to work late.

Then I go online and try to sell a kidney to pay for the whole thing.

It takes gargantuan effort. That's why we're going with a weekly date night -- at home after the kids are in bed.

We've picked a night that's least likely to have interference. We'll alternate who's in charge of planning for that week. We can watch a movie, order in a special meal, slow dance, play a board game. . . hopefully the Internets will help us be creative because we are not idea people. What's important is turning off the electronic devices and giving each other complete attention.

We're excited about devoting one night a week to gazing into each others' eyes and whispering sweet nothings.

Or at least enjoying some good takeout in our pajamas.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is a huge idea - and an awesome one! My Bible study leader is always encouraging me to do that with Kevin. I don't know that I can commit to weekly dates, but this inspires me to try to do it more often! Please post some of your date night activities!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...