Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Liebster Award - Or More Information About Me Than You Cared to Know


I'm completely flattered that some very lovely and talented ladies selected me to be part of the Liebster Award -- Diya from The Hobby Harbor, Ashley (Frances) and Emily (Suzanne) from Frances Suzanne, and RaeAnna from Sewing Mama RaeAnna. Truth be told, I've been admiring their work from afar for quite a while.

Here's the picture and explanation I shamelessly stole from Ashley (frances) and Emily (suzanne).


"The Liebster Blog Award is an award given by bloggers to up and coming bloggers, most of whom have less than 200 followers (or have been blogging for less than 6 months). It is to show newer bloggers that they are appreciated, and to help spread the word about new blogs. It was created to promote appreciation and recognition among the blog world. Liebster translates to “dearest” (or favorite/best) in German. It is also known as the Love Blog Award."

The Rules:
1. You must post 11 random things about yourself.
2. Answer the questions that the nominator set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for the people you nominate.
4. Choose 11 new blogs you love and link them in your post.
5. Please leave me a comment on this post with the URL to your Liebster post so I can learn more about you!

11 Random Things 

I'm not a rule follower. Well, in the law-abiding sense I am, but in the tell-me-what-I'm-supposed-to-do-and-I'll-do-it sense I'm not. "Question Everything" may as well be tattooed across my forehead.

Often I think I've responded to an email, phone call, text, etc., but it all happened in my head. My friends and family have gotten used to feeling ignored.

I once won a crown in a pageant. (I'll pause to let some of my long-time followers stop laughing.) It's not something I share openly. In fact, I'm pretty sure my BFF in Asheville may not know. Hopefully the shock/amusement didn't just send her into early labor.

One of our cats is morbidly obese and the other is missing all the hair from the back half of his body because of stress-induced overgrooming. 

I'm a talkative introvert. I dread social gatherings of any kind. It's extremely hard for me to make good friends. (I've got more good friends than I deserve only because I've offered to let them wear my crown.)

I'm married to an extrovert who loves social gatherings of any kind.

Two of our children adore animals. They approach, touch, pet, talk to, and covet every one we see. One of our children is completely uninterested. 

(Wait -- these are supposed to be random facts about me, aren't they?)

It's impossible for me to go five minutes without mentioning my husband or children. Or the cats. They're pretty cool. Not the cats -- they've lost favor since the mouse took up residence in our wall and they refuse to do anything about it.

I've worn glasses since age 7. Contacts at 13 changed my life. 

6 hours of sleep each night is my ideal. More and I'm reluctant to get out of bed. Less and I'm crabby and dragging.

My great-grandmothers both sewed. Grandma Neva made quilts by hand, and she taught me how to hand-stitch when I was little. MawMaw Gore sewed clothes, and I regret never sitting down for a lesson from her.

15 Questions from Others
Bias tape - buy it from the store or make it yourself?
Buy it. Mostly. I'm getting snobbier about fabric, though, and that stuff feels yucky.

How do you drink your coffee?
I don't. I can't. I've tried. It's either sweet tea or Pepsi for me.

If you could create a machine to do one menial sewing task, what would it be?
Trace my patterns.

What is your favorite style of music?
Bluegrass. Mumford and Sons is my current obsession.

What are your top five ‘must-read’ blogs?

Do you have a phobia? And if so – what is it?
I'm claustrophobic. Terribly. I can't be restrained at all. Things like locked roller coaster safety bars, backseats in two-door cars, and caves send me into panic attacks.

Breathe, Michelle. Breathe.

What is your favorite fabric? This might be a certain designer’s look, or a particular style / texture you are drawn to....
Robert Kaufman for prints. Liberty of London for quality/texture.

What is your most tried and true pattern in your stash?
Sewaholic Renfrew. And the Flashback Skinny Tee from Made by Rae.

Share a tradition that you and your family enjoy.
Spending Saturday mornings walking down and exploring the farmer's market in the warmer months is one of my favorites.

Name one thing sewing-related that you haven’t tried…but want to learn how to do.
Lace.

What is your favorite month of the year and why?
May. It's not too hot, but things are finally green again.

If you had the opportunity to do a guest post, what series would you want to participate in….or, on which site would you like to guest post?
Oh, wow. Guest posting at Project Run and Play was pretty huge for me. Being a part of Dana's Celebrate the BOY would be pee-in-my-pants worthy.

Where do you get your sewing inspiration (be specific – for example: a particular pinterest board, blog, children’s retail, etc.)? 
Mini-Boden. MADE. Elegance and Elephants. Delia Creates. Frances Suzanne. (I'm not just blowing smoke. I've loved absolutely everything on that blog. In fact, I would let them wear my crown.) 

What has been your greatest “sewing find” to date?
I couldn't live without my Olfa cutting mat.

How long have you been blogging?
Here at Handmade Martini -- since summer 2012. Since 2007 I've kept a family blog with mostly pictures and essays, but I quit publishing it last summer. The kids will thank me someday. (For starting it AND for stopping it.)

7 Questions for those I nominate (because 11 is SUCH a big number)
Why did you begin sewing?
What is the most challenging sewing-related task for you?
What's the best sewing tip you've received recently?
Do you upcycle? Why or why not?
Knits or Woven?
What's your favorite sewing series?
What five blogs are your must-reads?

Blogs I'm nominating (I checked my reader against those already nominated to (hopefully) avoid duplications)

Thanks, guys! This was fun! (I love me some virtual socializing -- no need for extra deodorant.)

4 comments:

  1. Nice to know so much more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, friend! Lace...oh, yes! You're going to be making an heirloom dress before you know it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! LOVE the term 'talkative introvert'.... I may need to use that soon!! And we, too, love some 'virtual socializing'!! Thanks for playing along - it is so nice to learn a bit more about our blogging buddies!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...