Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Happy Hedgehog (PR&P Week 2)


For week two of Project Run and Play, the challenge is to create a look with polka dots and stripes. My stash is woefully missing polka dots, but stripes are pouring over.

I took the opportunity to use some delicious striped scraps to make a comfortable knit combination for The Baby Girl.


Indoor pictures on a cloudy, rainy day. Bleh. 

At least there are some bright, cheerful flowers on the pants. I tried to make them scratch and sniff, but the lady at the fabric store said they were all out of scratch-and-sniff floral fabric.

I was forced to use a vintage sheet for the pants.


The Shirt:

source

I cannot even take remote credit for this adorable hedgehog. I've had the Mini-Boden cardigan (left) pinned on my inspiration board for months. (Note: Did you see Lily wearing it the other night on Modern Family?! I squealed and said, "That's the HEDGEHOG I'm working on RIGHT NOW!" Ryan was less than impressed.)

The pattern was Made by Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee (size 18 month with extra wiggle room added), and the fabric came from Spiritex's warehouse sale.

I layered a bunch of scraps I had and stitched around each part individually. It turned out just the way I'd imagined. (Another note: When I went to take pictures of Eliza today in the shirt, I noticed a tiny hole right there over the hedgehog. It wasn't there last night, and I have no idea how it got there. I tried to fix it, but it's pretty obvious to me. *sob*)



For the cardigan, I modified the Flashback Skinny Tee pattern, adding a button placket and slicing it down the middle (size 2t to give more room).

source
And the pants. I've had the Mini-Boden pants on the left pinned for a while, too, and I tried to modify a basic pant block to replicate them. It was kind of successful. They have a flat front and elastic back, plus the piping and button accents. There are a few things I'd change if I did it again.

Like I mentioned, they're made from a vintage bed sheet. They're also fully lined.

In fact, I'm planning to do it again, maybe with corduroy or a smaller print. If I can get it looking right, I'll do a tutorial.

This outfit suits her personality perfectly. Spunky, different, fun, and whimsical. Just to prove it, she gave me one of these:


If you're up for it, head on over to Project Run and Play to check out the other sew-alongers and this week's designers' looks.

20 comments:

  1. Love the hedgehog! Your creativity just shines in this outfit. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so cute the hedgehog peeking out of the sweater, really great job. hope you do that tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay....we are SO going to have to invest in Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee!! Everywhere we turn, another cute ensemble pops up with it as the starting point... :) GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome. In its original form it's great, and the possible variations are endless. It'd be a great way to start with knits! I can't say enough about any of Rae's patterns.

      Delete
  4. This is just too cute for words. I love the hole look and that hedgehog is darling. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so so cute... and the Hedgehog, ahhh cuteness overload ;o) I love how you put your own spin on it with the mixed patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is SOOOO cute! I was so going to sew along this season, but so far havent. This outfit should win the sew a long this week. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was right! It was an adorable hedgehog! Cute, cute! And I can't see a hole at all...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have the hedgehog pinned since quite a while! REally, really love it and the whole outfit. Turned out great

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute!! And what a little sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Such a sweet outfit and little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the encouragement! It's neat to see all the different ideas from the sew-alongers and designers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute and very Boden! That applique is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this outfit! I love your mix of fabrics and patterns and think the whole look came together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! The whole look is very Mini Boden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love the piping on the pants with the sailor buttons. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I seriously don't know what I like most about this outfit. Everything is FANTASTIC. So awesome. I love it..all of it.
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! I so do not have the skills... but you do and this turned out adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...