Thursday, February 7, 2013

Completed: Ruby Ruffle Dress

Here are the promised shots of a baby wearing the dress I made at sewing school.


It was a tad short, so I added some ruffled bloomers using this pattern from MADE as a starting point.


The dress is fully lined with the contrast fabric used for the center front portion. Those polka dots make my heart go pitter patter.



I had to include the next picture. See Spider-Man's hand sneaking in to pat Eliza on the back? Between that and her intense concentration on watching videos of herself on my iPhone, this captures a typical moment around here perfectly.


Here are the stats:

Pattern: Ruby Ruffle Dress by The Cottage Mama
Fabric: Tilda
Size: 18 months
Time: 6 hours start to finish
Cost: Ryan says it's a thousand-dollar dress if you consider the registration fee, gas, food, hotel, and time off work. Whatever. I stayed at a Microtel for crying out loud.
Thoughts: This pattern goes together so easily, and not just because I had its designer there to answer any questions. The most time-consuming part for me was attaching the ruffles. 

I'll tighten up the armholes and lengthen the next version I make. Maybe. I like the ruffled bloomers peeking out under the hem.

It goes without saying, I guess, but I'd definitely recommend this pattern.

12 comments:

  1. This is such a fun, flirty, cute dress! I love it. Don't lengthen it. I love bloomers peeking out of a short dress. They can only get away with that for such a short time. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right.

      I'm imagining more little ruffled bloomers in her future.

      Delete
  2. I love checking your blog and seeing glimpses into your life. Our little girls are the same age and look a lot alike. Don't you wish she had more hair by now??? I do. :) and my little boy has that same Spider-Man costume. And lives in it or the captain America one. Just fun to see a similar family. She's beautiful. And the dress is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karyn! I'm secretly (or not-so-secretly) hoping Eliza has my thick, course hair because it's so much easier to French braid, put in ponytails, etc. My mom plaited my hair every day, and it's a tradition I plan to carry on!

      As for the costumes - it's neat to see their enthusiasm in wearing it everywhere. They're so unapologetic and innocent. I love it.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! A new pattern for my wish list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great, versatile pattern, Amy!

      Delete
  4. This dress is absolutely adorable! I love the ruffled bloomers, too. Your daughter is beautiful and your smocked dress ( I saw the link and took a peek) turned out great! No one would know it was your first bishop if you didn't tell them. Smocking is so rewarding (and a little addictive). Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I haven't smocked anything since the bishop, and I'm itching. You're right - it is addictive! Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. The details of this pattern are amazing! I love the ruffles and the buttons on the shoulders and the cute matching bloomers! You did such a great job!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Michelle, your dress turned out a.dorable! I enjoyed being in the class with you and all the other wonderful ladies. Enjoyed your post about Lindsay and the School - all truth. Way to go by adding the ruffled bloomers - that is exactly what I had in mind for that dress on the littler ones. I'll be adding your blog to my favorites. I'm really happy to see more and more quality sewing blogs out there (and yours is one of them). Take care....Terri Jones (MPC assistant for the week) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! It was such a marvelous experience. I appreciate your encouragement!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...