Sunday, February 3, 2013

Layered Ruffle Tee (PR&P Week 5)


(update: a tutorial for this top is available here.)

This week at Project Run and Play it's time for The Men's Dress Shirt Challenge. We were supposed to take a men's button-down (or up?) shirt and design something for a child.

I've been excited about this one since the lovely ladies announced the themes. There's a stack of dress shirts in Ryan's closet that are too gross for donating but too valuable to toss. (The buttons and fabric alone are worth keeping around.)

Among those ring-around-the-collar-stained shirts was one Ryan got when we were newly married. It was an Old Navy button-down that was paired with a red pullover sweater. My heart skipped a beat every time he wore it. Ryan looks good in red. And in layers. Preppy layers.

Oh, hello. I got distracted for a minute. Whew. Focus, Michelle.

Tossing that stained shirt in the trash was out of the question, but I figured it'd be perfect as a remade shirt for Eliza. I've been wanting to make a layered tunic like the one pictured below ever since I bought it at Target months back. It's the Oshkosh brand that Target carries (Genuine Kids), and it's my favorite (store-bought) top in her wardrobe.

source

Turns out it was a little tougher to execute than it looks. It's that extra, bottom layer of gathered ruffle - how to attach it, etc. I studied the Genuine Kids one and tried to replicate it from the inside out, and here's what resulted.


I started with a basic t-shirt pattern (another Flashback Skinny Tee, anyone?) and started hacking away. I'd really like to do a tutorial, mostly because I want to document the steps so I can repeat this look.

The pants are a basic two-piece, self-drafted pattern with heart knee patches made of the upcycled shirt. The denim isn't stretchy, but it seems comfortable enough.


It's a little poofier than the Target version, simply because Ryan's button-down dress shirt is a heavier weight. As much as I'd like to use some of my fun quilting cotton next time, it really needs a lighter weight gauze or voile.

But I'm kind of liking the poofy.


It's hard to see in these pictures, but the arm hole is cut out of the top knit layer, and it also continues in the first ruffly layer. This time I had to do set-in sleeves because I sewed the side seams first. Next time I'll do it the easy way and sew up the sides and arms all at once.



This week I'm off to THE MARTHA PULLEN SCHOOL OF ART FASHION! I have to yell that because, well, it's MARTHA PULLEN! My Christmas gift was a one-day class taught by Lindsay Wilkes, blogger and designer behind The Cottage Home and Cottage Mama. I'm driving down and staying overnight! By myself! In a hotel! Then sewing for a whole day! With other people! Who like to sew! 

I'll try to calm down a little before I write a blog post about it. All the exclamation points are making me a little dizzy. Kind of like the idea of meeting Martha Pullen! And Lindsay Wilkes!

Thanks for indulging my psychosis. I know you get it. 

24 comments:

  1. Aw, very cute! I love the poofyness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute fabric choice for a fun shirt! And have fun this week. Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been ogling your Geraniums, and I'd like to try one soon.

      Delete
  4. I love this. And what a sweet model. I love the knee patches.
    With Love,
    ~Scary, from The Shaffer Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scary! She wasn't happy when I made her model it outside in the cold, but she perked up when we came inside. Evil mommy.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, sewing with other people who like to sew too?? I didn't know such places and people existed at the same time in the same place!

    Have fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Susan! It was a blast. I'll write more about it soon.

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited for you!!! Lindsey seems like such an awesome teacher!! I love watching Martha Pullen on PBS! :)
    And your look is sooooooo cute! I love how cute your little girl is being in the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RaeAnna! She was a great teacher, and it was a great experience.

      Delete
  7. Amazed you pulled off an entry AND a sewing excursion... YOU. GO. GIRL! Hope you had fun at the Martha Pullen School (please, please, please share your adventures with the rest of us)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share soon! Martha Pullen was there and nearby, but I got cold feet and didn't approach. Next time. For sure.

      Delete
  8. That is completely adorable! I love that it's poofy! You did such a great job, and I never would've guessed that was from a button up shirt! Good luck!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! I'm going to do something similar, but make layered shirt dresses for my 2 girls for Valentine's Day. The entire outfit is adorable! I have a link party going on right now that I would love for you to come link up to! Hope to see you soon! http://weliketolearnaswego.blogspot.com/2013/02/what-i-learned-wednesday-43.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the poofy look! It'd look great with a cute quilting cotton :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried it with a quilting cotton, and you're right -- very cute.

      Delete
  11. This is so adorable on your cute model!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...