Thursday, February 14, 2013

Signature Style (PR&P Week 6)

What excites me about this week's challenge at Project Run and Play (Signature Style Week) isn't my final look. I'm pleased with it overall, but that's not the best part.

The best part is that I've met my goal of cementing my "signature style." When I look at my first and second entries into PR&P last fall, I was all over the place. My intention this time was to use my stash and upcycle, which is the same as it was last time. BUT, this time each result was much more reflective of my preferred style.

So, if you want to see my "signature style," look at any one of this season's completed projects. You'll see a common theme: comfort (knits), upcycling, classic silhouettes, shortened bodices, applique, and muted colors.

The second-best part is that I've gotten more comfortable with drafting my own patterns! Just like everything else in life, Practice Makes Better.



The sweater is a maternity sweater from Old Navy. It was the very first maternity item I ever purchased. (Long before I got pregnant, by the way.) It's a self-drafted pattern based around the Flashback Skinny. The lining is original to the sweater, just sized down to fit the smaller version. 


The dress is gray corduroy from my stash. (It wrinkles so easily.) I made it too big intentionally so she can wear it next winter. The design is all my own. Several months ago I saw this dress (it's no longer available) that served as the inspiration. The bodice lining and piping are also stash fabric (you can also see the lining fabric here).

There are several tweaks I'm planning to make to it next time. I'd like to have gathers in the back scoop that match the front. Also, I plan to use smaller piping so I can manipulate it more easily. 







That's a wrap!

I've got two more baby girl dresses to finish this week. The new, improved version of this one is first up. The second one will be the unfinished dress from Valentine's Week. 

Then Eliza will officially have an obscene number of dresses, and I will go back to sewing big girl clothes for a little while.

Thanks for playing along!

** These photos were taken at Biltmore, one of my favorite places. A perk of living here and having season passes is that we can pop over on a Thursday morning. We don't take it for granted.

24 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Stars!! When I saw your dress, I immediately recognized it. We've pinned it too (on our inspiration board), and want to attempt making a similar one. Watch out! We may be calling on your for drafting assistance :). It is darling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, guys! For some reason I used decorator piping (it's what I had on hand), which made it impossible to manipulate into that cool scallop. I want to try it again for sure. That inspiration dress is beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Oh so cute and well made! I love your style and this outfit is a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done ~ I love your muted colors.
    I visited Biltmore about 15 years ago, it is so lovely !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Biltmore is lovely, even in the middle of winter.

      Delete
  4. I love the fabrics you used and the sweet curved bodice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Your sew-along looks have been awesome!

      Delete
  5. love the dress - great job with the piping detail and curved seam, adding this to the list of things I want to make for baby girl ;o) And The Biltmore is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! GREAT job this season! I've loved every one of your looks! Congrats on making the finals!

      Delete
  6. I agree that the more you sew and draft the more you come into your own style. I really like the piping detail in this dress. Lining up those chevrons (or I think they're chevrons) was a great touch. I'm in love with grey mixed with pops of color lately and this is just great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm feeling the gray lately too -- and turquoise. I saw both from the competing designers this season, and it got my wheels turning!

      Delete
  7. So cute! I like the colors, but I do agree that some mini cording would work better for the piping. If I know you, there will be another one of these coming up! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! I'm fortunate to know some piping pros who can give pointers when I hit a snag. {wink wink}

      Delete
  8. Really like your look! I'm a sucker for corduroy this is a great take on your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the original dress... and I love your version! Beautiful job. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pop of color in the piping next to the muted gray. Also thanks for the pointer on the piping. I haven't worked with it yet and am glad to learn that from someone that is more experienced with it. Great job on drafting your patterns and making everything fit so well. How many hours do you think you put into this?
    ~Al

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Al! I'm still relatively new to piping, too! My fabric store down the street has pre-packaged piping that I'm trying with the second version of this dress. It's much smaller and designed for clothes. The piping I used here is the only kind they sold by the yard, and it's primarily for decorating so it's bigger and harder to use for small clothes.

      Drafting has come very, very slowly to me, and I've still go so much to learn. This dress didn't take very long *until* I got to the back. I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to get the back to overlap and how to close everything up neatly. It's the construction part that got me this time.

      In all I finished it in one afternoon/night, so I'd say four-five hours from drafting to cutting to hemming?

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful dress, I really love the accent on the bodice. I wish I had a baby to sew for, mine is 4 now. I found your blog through Cottage Home - my first time there too. There is just so much inspiration out here in blog ville! Following...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the curved bodice and the piping... a sweet little dress. The fact that it's made from corduroy just tops it off. I'd love you to share this dress (and any others), at our Ongoing linky that's just for Girls' Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous. I love your signature sytle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it so fun to find your signature style? It gives such a sense of direction! I love this dress style and am impressed that you drafted it yourself! It's gorgeous! I love the colored piping paired with the gray corduroy!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...