Friday, March 15, 2013

WIP: Clover Wearable Muslin

Confession:  I entered a sewing contest. Last year, its inaugural year, I followed one of my favorite bloggers as she went through the rounds and eventually won the whole thing. At the time I thought, "Wouldn't it be awesome to sew like that?" This year I threw my hat in the ring. (Very, very early so I wouldn't chicken out.) The judges narrowed 100+ entries down to 10 sewists who will compete in three rounds of challenges.

The bad news is I didn't make the top 10. (Top 15, if you're the counting type.)

The good news is if I had made the Top 10 you may have missed these pants. (They didn't really fit any of themes, though I can't imagine why not.)

And let me tell you, my joy at imagining your reaction to these pants almost beats how excited I'd have been to win the whole contest.


Aren't they wild?

Here's how it happened. When the Clover pattern was released, I snatched it up right away. Then I got on fabric.com and searched for twill with a little stretch. Of course I started in the clearance section, and for some reason decided this fabric would fit into my wardrobe perfectly.


Last year I sewed up a few muslins and even made a denim Clover. A serger mishap (on the last seam!) relegated those to the trash bin, but I kept the newly adjusted pattern.

It was a breeze to sew these up with my adjusted pattern. A breeze, I tell you. A few seams, invisible zipper, and done!


The fit's okay. I lengthened the torso, narrowed the hips, and shaved some off the inner thighs.

There's still extra room under the rear, and the waist could stand to be nipped in another pinch. BUT, this fabric loses its stretch super-quick-like, so that may contribute to the sagging.

must take sister's advice and look up "ways to knot long belt" on pinterest
The only other issue is some weird zipper nipple action. Not sure what that's about.

Let's be honest. When fabric is this busy, it's easier to hide flaws.

I've had this outfit on all day, and it's so comfortable. I'm loving the pants in all their patterned glory. (I ditched the heels. I mean, I bake and clean and sew, but in heels? Maybe if I didn't have bunions.)



Okay. Enough gratuitous crotch shots.

But don't fret. There will be more soon. I'm done muslining my Thurlow. Now I'm off to finish my first real version!

18 comments:

  1. You are so talented!! We were thrilled to see you as an honorable mention, but would have loved to see you compete in one of the 10 spots on sewvivor..... You are so versatile: children and women's clothing :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, guys! Like you I stepped WAY outside my comfort zone to enter. I've got another year to build up the nerve again!! Sew-alongs are more my speed, I think.

      Delete
  2. I've been eying that pattern. THose look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Once you get the fit adjusted, they're an easy sew. I've a feeling it'll take a few versions for me to get the kinks worked out.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely love the pants, may have to try out that pattern myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are awesome!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are stunning. I wouldn't have thought of that print for pants, but it totally works here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric on these pants and the outfit combo! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabric and that mustard color has ben my favorite for over a year. You are ROCKING that print!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabric and that mustard color has ben my favorite for over a year. You are ROCKING that print!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great pair of pants!! I love how you totally went for it in a knock-out print and it worked!!

    Jenny
    www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That print is amazing! I can't believe you got it on clearance. I'm sad you didn't make it in the top ten, but I am really happy I got to see these fantastic pants!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These pants are awesome! Such a daring pattern, but you totally make it work! Perfect for a reluctant spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look fantastic in those pants! I didn't make it on Sew Vivor either....Whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking pants. Love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...