Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Completed: Chartreuse Clovers & Liberty Laurel


If there's any doubt it's time for warmer temperatures, I'm here to offer you an ensemble that screams SPRING!

The top is the Colette Laurel version 4 (the blouse). This pattern, like all Colette patterns, is dreamy to sew. Their instructions are clear, and this top came together very easily.  Because I only had a yard of this Liberty fabric, I opted for the blouse. There was enough leftover to make a headband or little top for Eliza, but the leftovers weren't obnoxious. The coolest thing was using a 10"x10" piece for continuous binding.


The neck and arm bindings are hand-sewn into place. The seams are all French.

I completed three muslins, and the fit could still use some work. The arm holes are still tight. Surely I'm not the only one having this problem. And I may need to widen the shoulders. I've got another blouse pattern that fits correctly that I'll check it against before I make the dress Laurel. The French seams may have contributed to the snugness in this final version -- my SA for French seams always ends up being more than 5/8".


For the Clover, I used a stretch twill. Most likely I've over-fitted these, but after I finish Sandra Betzina's pants fitting course on Craftsy, I fully intend to start over fitting my pants from scratch.

The Clover pattern, once you get them fitted, is so super easy to make. It's a great beginner pant pattern.

Just a note: this is my second pair of Clovers from this fabric. My first pair was an abysmal failure. I couldn't even zip them up. Well, I could, but it was scary. I had enough fabric left over to make a whole other pair. It was a cropped pair, but still. If you're making the smaller sizes, you'll have lots left if you buy the recommended amount of fabric.



Here are the stats:
Top
Pattern: Colette Laurel
Fabric: Liberty of London
Size: 2
Modifications: Narrowed upper center back, widened armscye, lengthened torso, graded shoulder slant to size 0, lowered and lengthened bust dart.
Thoughts: Arms are still too tight, and my circulation is being cut off as I type this. Shoulders may be too narrow. Looks nice though. Fabric feels delicious.

Pants
Pattern: Colette Clover
Fabric: Cotton twill from fabric.com
Size: 0
Modifications: Narrowed hips, lengthened torso, narrowed waist.
Thoughts: Even with all the fitting woes, they still look better than any store-bought pants I could buy. This pattern is easy to whip up, so I'll be making it again and again.

11 comments:

  1. I love the color combos! So springy. And the fit is spot on from the look of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm convinced sewing spring outfits can force warmer temps into sticking around.

      Delete
  2. Such super colours together! And super fitting ... J

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! You are so talented, friend! Someday you're going to teach me how to make something for myself. I love those pants. And that Liberty - luscious. It's the perfect spring outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! The hardest part for me in fitting myself is the back. It's tough to reach around and pin adjustments. ;)

      Delete
  4. Its amazing. Just don't try to type =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You know, I'll still wear it and just make sure it's on a day where my physical motion can be limited. Ha.

      Delete
  5. You look wonderfully springy. I am still longing for tempertures in the 40s. Not really Spring weather here in Germany yet. I love those pants and may have to try my first Colete pattern. ~ Major Moma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sewing up the Clover is really easy because it's just five pieces - 2 fronts, 2 backs, and a waistband. There's an invisible zip, but that's not too tough. The fitting is the challenge, I think.

      Delete
  6. Michelle,
    I love this! Thanks so much for participating in our Make for Mom Month. I would love it if you would head over to the linky and link up any of the other stuff-(like this) that you have made.
    with love,
    -Jo
    http://shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/05/make-for-mom-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...