Friday, April 5, 2013

On Living with Spider-Man

Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can. Spins a web any size. Catches thieves just like flies. Look out! Here comes the Spiderman.

Since December, we have known Daniel as Spider-Man. I'm not sure when it began - maybe it was when we discovered Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends or the 1967 cartoon version of Spider-Man on Netflix.

One day he put on Lee's Spider-Man costume and never took it off.

Is he strong? Listen bud - He's got radioactive blood. Can he swing from a thread? Take a look overhead. Hey there! There goes the Spiderman.

After watching him trip and fall over the too-long legs and constantly having to roll up the arms, I got online and ordered a costume in Daniel's size. The moment the mailman delivered it, we ripped open the package. He was practically vibrating with excitement as he slipped on his new identity. When we got him a "web shooter" for Christmas, the ensemble was complete.

February 2013
In the chill of the night, At the scene of the crime, Like a streak of light, He arrives just in time!

Now there are only three times Daniel isn't Spider-Man: when the costume is being washed (only when absolutely necessary), when he goes to church (they have one in the Sunday school room that he immediately slips on when he arrives), or when he's at another formal event like a funeral. (He wore his costume on the way to the funeral, we changed him in the car, and we changed him back into the costume on the way home.)

Otherwise He. Is. Spider-Man. At the grocery store. In the backyard. At the playground. In bed. Walking around town. At Biltmore. In the car. Picking up Lee from Farm Class. At friends' houses. Under a coat.

It's been mended again and again. Despite washing it on delicate and hanging it to dry, it's showing signs of wear. There's the hole he cut as an experiment (and regretted deeply). There's the deflated muscles, the not-so-sticky-any-more velcro, and the unraveling edges.

Daniel is That Kid. He dares to be different. He's confident and fun. People smile in his presence. He's strong, daring, and bold. He's so adorable it makes my teeth hurt.

The stuff of superheroes.


Spiderman, Spiderman, Friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Wealth and fame, he's ignored. Action is his reward. To him, life is a great big bang-up. Wherever there's a hang-up, you'll find the Spiderman!

When I'm too old to remember the tantrums and the difficulty teaching him about self-control, when I'm too old to remember the sibling warfare, when I'm too old to remember moments of huddling in the corner praying for patience -- I will remember Daniel as Spider-Man.

In my Forever Memory, Daniel will be lying in his bed sound asleep, warm in his Spider-Man costume, wearing his Spidey half mask that still allows him room to suck on his pacifier.

In my Forever Memory, Daniel is -- just as he believes. Daniel is Spider-Man.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, such a sweet boy and such wonderful memories. Thank you for enforcing the "not at church" rule. I saw some kid once dressed in a pink bunny costume. It bugged me just long enough to remember, not my kid, not my problem, and hey at least they got them to church. I try to always let Sarah wear whatever she picks out from her drawer no matter how hideous the outfit turns out, except on Sunday. I win on Sunday. I pull out 2 dresses from the closet and she can pick from those. It's the only day I interject any opinion aside from, "it's cold you'll also need a jacket".

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I love this post. Such a wonderful way to embrace who Daniel is and let him grow in to the person he's becoming. And it just makes me so very thankful that God finally (even if we were a bit reluctant) gave us one of these "boy" creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. My little guy loves Spiderman and his amazing friends, though he fancies himself Iceman, try explaining to a 3 yr old that random kids he meets on playgrounds, ect don't know about Spiderman's 1980 cartoon friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally his favorite was Fire Star. I had to explain that I couldn't buy/make that costume. That one would have been difficult to explain to other kids, too. Ha.

      Delete
  4. I just discovered your blog and was reading your archives. I too have a 4 year old Spider-Man and he fell in love with him the same way (Spider-Man and his Ah-Maaaaaaaazing Friends). For a while there I had to answer to Firestar. Anyway, love this sweet post! I might have some Spider-Man pics over at my little blog willyount.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...