Friday, May 10, 2013

Tested: Cascade Skirt

Here's the last of my tested patterns from the Breakwater Collection: the Cascade Skirt.

This is the pattern envelope description: Full wrap skirt with graduated hem, and attractive cascades along the hemline. Aimed at a beginner level this skirt is perfect for every day wear, but also dramatic enough for a special occasion. Pattern includes three different waistband options (button up, front tie and back tie), and instructions for optional lining for sheer fabrics.

It takes quite a bit of fabric (3 7/8 yards for 45" in fabric) because of the bias-cut layout.

 The resulting drape is beautiful.


It sewed up quickly, even with the French seams. The instructions were clear, and it's suitable for beginners as the pattern indicates.

It's supposed to hit mid-calf at the longest length in the back, and mine hit ankle length. I'd like it to be shorter next time.


The fabric I used was free -- picked up at a swap last Spring. Or was it the Spring before? Anyway, it's some kind of gauze. It smelled like moth balls even after a few washings. It was white, and I dyed it this awesome color green, which happens to be my favorite color. (It's RIT dye apple green. Ryan calls it "guacamole.") The waistband was a brown gauze I had in my stash. The coordinating waist is a nice touch, I think.




Stats:
Pattern: Cascade Skirt by Megan Nielsen
Fabric: Cotton gauze
Size: XS and no adjustments
Thoughts: This skirt is lovely and comfortable. I'm wearing a slip with this one because my fabric is slightly see-through and it gives me more coverage if the front gets a mind of its own and opens. There's an option for lining the skirt.
Next Time: I'll shorten it considerably. I'm thinking a nice jersey would make an awesome everyday skirt.

6 comments:

  1. I like it just like it is. I thought the only adjustment that needed to be made on the blue paisley dress you made was that the high-low hem should have been more pronounced. This is perfect. I'm not brave enough to wear a real wrap skirt, though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I've worn this twice since last Friday. The way it floats in the wind -- it's pretty awesome. I've got to wear the slip because it's flipped open a couple of times.

      Delete
  2. This looks so great! I like the length, bug a shorter knit version would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cascade style anything, tops, skirt. Love the color too. Good one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm sold on the cascade style. It's beautiful. Thank you!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...