Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tested: Georgia Vintage Dress by Cottage Mama

The newest Cottage Mama patterns are slated for release in the next couple of weeks, and I was so excited when Lindsay asked me to be part of her testing pool. Her designs are delightful, and she's such an inspirational person.

Here's the first one I'm testing from the new batch: the Georgia Vintage Dress. 


I tested version A, which includes a bib, double-layer skirt, and flutter sleeves. Piping borders the bib on the front. (Some testers used ric rac instead of piping. Lace would be pretty, too.)



There's a precious peter pan collar and buttons down the front.

The skirt is assembled with French seams.







The bodice and sleeves are lined.

The back buttons up and ties with a sash and big bow. Despite watching a video tutorial on YouTube, I still can't get my bows to look perky.


I opted for covered buttons on the back, and I'm so thrilled with the result.


Stats:
Pattern: Georgia Vintage Dress from the Cottage Mama (It'll be released next week.)
Size and Modifications: 18 months. She was at the bigger end of the size, and it fit perfectly. No modifications.
Fabric: Tilda. I first saw this bird fabric in Sew Beautiful magazine Issue 141 last year. When I saw a bolt at the Martha Pullen School of Art Fashion in March, I bought a yard of it and a half yard of two coordinating fabrics knowing there'd be a perfect dress for it. Unfortunately I made a major cutting error and messed up the coordinating pink. Lucky for me our fabric shop had some pink that was pretty close to perfect. It's not the best quality, but it matches better than I'd hoped. 
Thoughts: The process of testing this pattern was so much fun. Lindsay created a private chat group for us so we could share questions, comments, and pictures along the way. She was available for questions. It was a positive experience for sure. 

And the dress! It's well made and well designed.

Eliza loves it. She would wear it all day, every day if I'd let her. Ryan about melted when he saw her in it. And I think it's the cutest dress I've sewn.
Next time: I've got fabric in my stash that would be PERFECT, but I don't have enough of it. Maybe I'll head down and get another yard. . . 

(You can "like" Cottage Mama on Facebook to see pictures of the other testers' versions.)

15 comments:

  1. Great fabric choices, this dress really stands out! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is so sweet! I love the prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a sucker for birds.

      Delete
  3. She looks so adorable, and I love all the prints you chose! I've seen a few versions of this dress so far, and it's so fun to find out what everyone did differently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes -- it's been delightful to see all the different versions!

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog via the Sew Can Do party ( just found it too, lol! ) and oh my what a gorgeous dress and she is so adorable!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally in love with this pattern and your fabric choices are stunning - love the Tilda collection you used (I've been flirting with the blue/green variation for quite a while...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oooh - I love the blue/green print, too. It would make a beautiful Georgia dress!

      Delete
  6. Hi, just found this via a linky party...you did a fantastic job with this dress! Absolutely gorgeous! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable. Your fabrics look so cottage mama too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ADORABLE!!! Love your fabric combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute is that dress! And that bird fabric is adorable; it's perfect with the other coordinating fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredibly cute and those prints are just perfect! Thanks for linking to the Craftastic Monday party at Sew Can Do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...