Thursday, August 29, 2013

Completed: Popover Re-mix (PR&P Practice)

I may have mentioned (a dozen times) that Project Run and Play starts September 9th. I've got a couple of big projects I'm working on during September (FLIP This Pattern!), but I can't resist PR&P. I've tried. It's futile. There's just such a beautiful camaraderie and so much inspiration surrounding PR&P -- it sucks me in every time. Have you seen the line-up of competitors? Wow.

The ladies have changed things up a little this season. For one thing, it's only four weeks. The four themes are:
Week 1 (9/9/13): Pattern Remix (Oliver + S Popover Sundress) (that's a FREE pattern, by the way)
Week 2 (9/16/13): Candy Inspired
Week 3 (9/23/13): Mad for Plaid
Week 4 (9/30/13): Your Signature Look

I'll be honest. I'm not feeling the candy theme, but maybe, just maybe I'll whip something up for the other three weeks.

Oh, look! I've already whipped something up for Week 1! (And my junior year English teacher called me a procrastinator. Harumph.)

Really this is just my practice version. I wanted to try it out to see if it worked. It did. Mostly. It falls off her shoulders a bit. (See the creases at the corners of the neckline? It's trying to fall down, even though it doesn't actually do it.)


The front and back are identical. In the actual real-deal version, I think I'll bring up that back neckline a half inch, and depending on whether it fits over her head, I may have to add a closure of some sort.

That makes it sound so easy, doesn't it? It'll take me hours to figure that out. My mind doesn't wrap around drafting. Usually that truth occurs to me about 11:00 pm as I'm sitting at my cutting table, head in hands, chanting, "why? why? WHY won't this work?" over and over.



Here's a picture of the original so you can see what I've done.

source
The two things I love about the design are the A-line shape and straight neckline. I kept those and did the following:

shortened length 
the yoke: cut the yoke along the length-wise fold line, added seam allowance to the top edge, drafted shoulders
added flutter sleeves (I used the ones from the Cottage Mama Georgia Vintage Dress pattern.)
lined the whole dress
added piping under the yoke

The hardest part was figuring out how to make the shoulders wide enough that I could pull everything back through while sewing together with the lining. My first test had narrower shoulder pieces, and I suspect it would have fit better, but I just couldn't get the thing turned right side out. Maybe without the sleeves.

But I love the sleeves.


In fact, I love the whole thing. She has so. many. summer. clothes. This little shirt will be great for layering this Fall though.


It's cute inside out, too. Maybe I can try a reversible version next time.



There you go. When you see it in a couple of weeks with a few tweaks and in a different fabric, act surprised, okay?

Stats:
Pattern: Popover Dress by Oliver + S (re-mixed)
Fabric: Vintage feed sack and gingham from my grandmother's sewing closet (I would like to point out that I haven't bought fabric since June. My fingers were shaking with withdrawals as I typed that.)
Size: 2t
Modifications: see list above
Thoughts: Right after I finished my muslin of this, The Sally Dress by luvinthemommyhood started popping up all over the Internet. I gave myself a little pat on the back for being up with the trends. (pretty much a first.)

I can't wait to see what everyone does to re-mix this pattern. Really I'm not the effusive, get-all-excited, cheerleader type, but PR&P! Wahoo! It's just that awesome.

4 comments:

  1. Would it work if you widened the yoke area but shortened the strap length?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. You know, I think that might work. I still may need a closure at the back to get it over her head. But I think I'll try your idea!! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  2. Your version is so cute! Have you contacted that teacher yet hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of the Sally dress when I saw your top too! Love the look and sweet fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...