Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Homeschooling: The Kindergarten Curriculum

We're starting Kindergarten at home next week!

After copious research, we've settled on a philosophy/style. (We're taking a Classical approach with a hefty dose of Charlotte Mason.) I've compiled a curriculum, which I'm sharing for a couple of reasons. First, some of you may have experience with these programs and want to share advice or thoughts. (Please do!) Also, example lists of curricula for Kindergarten were SO helpful to me as I was researching. I want to share just in case it may help another homeschooler who happens across this page.

We may not get to all of it, but this is our goal list. Note: Lee is an older Kindergartner, and I suspect we'll be in 1st grade territory this Spring (reading fluently well beyond three-letter words), so this is a little more intense than I would have planned otherwise.
Kindergarten Curriculum
Reading (daily)
Phonics Pathways
BOB Books Sets 1-5
Explode the Code (supplement)
Independent Reading (probably Spring):
Are You My Mother?
Go, Dog, Go!
The Cat in the Hat
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
In a People House
There’s a Wocket in my Pocket

Read-Alouds
Beatrix Potter
Ferdinand
Mother Goose collection
Aesop’s Fables
Folk Tales such as Three Little Bears, etc.
The Little House by Virginia Burton
A House is a House for Me

Audio Books
Stuart Little
The Chronicles of Narnia
Charlotte’s Web
The Complete Book of Dragons by Edith Nesbit
Peter Pan

Writing (daily)
Handwriting without Tears – Letters and Numbers for Me
Explode the Code (supplement)

Math (daily)
Saxon Math K

Science (twice weekly)
More Mudpies to Magnets
Nature Journaling

Memorization (daily)
Personal Information
Full Name
Parent’s Names
Home Address
Telephone Number
Calendar
Months of the Year
Days of the Week
The Lord’s Prayer
The Apostles Creed
Scripture/Bible
Psalms 1
Psalms 23
Psalms 103
Ephesians 6:10-20
Books of the Bible – New Testament
Poetry
The Caterpillar
By Christina G. Rossetti
Brown and furry
Caterpillar in a hurry
Take your walk
To the shady leaf, or stalk
May no toad spy you,
May the little birds pass by you,
Spin and die
To live again a butterfly

Singing Time
By Rose Fyleman
I wake in the morning early
And always, the very first thing,
I poke out my head and sit up in bed
And I sing and I sing and I sing
  
Time to Rise
By Robert Louis Stevenson
A birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon the window sill,
Cocked his shining eye and said:
“Ain’t you ‘shamed, you sleepyhead!”

Once I saw a Little Bird
An old nursery rhyme
Once I saw a Little Bird
Come hop, hop, hop:
So I cried, “Little bird,
Will you stop, stop, stop?”
And was going to the window,
To say, “How will you do?”
But he shook his little tail
And far away he flew

“Work”
Anonymous
Work while you work,
Play while you play;
This is the way
To be happy each day.
All that you do,
Do with your might;
Things done by halves
Are never done right.

Bible Study (daily)
One devotional story per day

Fine Arts (weekly)
Praise Ensembles – Art and Music co-op

Athletics (weekly)
Swim Lessons

Martial Arts or Gymnastics?

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a good plan. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! I can't wait to hear how all those lessons work for you! I've been doing my research for awhile now and have finally decided to give it a go with preschool level work this year. It's definitely a bit daunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni! I petered out quickly last year (um, two weeks in!), so this year we're trying a three or four-week-on, one-week-off plan.

      The research can be overwhelming! There are so many STRONG opinions out there I.e. whether to start early, which approach to choose, etc. Fortunately if one thing doesn't work, we can try something else!

      Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  3. I am using Saxon K too. How are you doing it every day? We did this week and now we only have seven lessons for the rest of the month. Am I being dense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! No, I haven't gotten the book yet, so I wasn't sure how the lessons were laid out. Hmmmm. Did Laine fly through it? I may only do it two or three days a week. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  4. I found your blog from your Project Sewn makes (I'm wanting to sew up the mouse House Creations cardigan), and when I saw that you homeschooled, I wanted to take a closer look! This is a helpful post as we desire a mixed approach of Charlotte Mason and the Classical method. I've done a lot of research--probably too much--and I think we're going to get started with kindergarten rather than wait. Anyway, it's helpful to see what others have done. With so many options, it should be clear to me that there's no perfect plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah! We waited to do Kindergarten, and this first year has been super laid back. If we want to take a day off, we do. Somehow we're still managing to make great progress in reading and writing! (Math and science are harder to measure as we work those into everyday life).

      We've signed up for the oldest two (will be 7 & 5) to do Classical Conversations next year. I discovered this year I need a little more structure and accountability, so I'm hopeful this program will provide it.

      Good luck! It's nice to know we're all out here figuring it out together! Blessings, Michelle

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply here and my (much neglected) blog! I have heard great things about Classical Conversations and considered signing up our oldest, but decided that we liked the flexibility of not having to be anywhere on any particular day. I trust that it will be fun and engaging for your children and I know the support from the other families there is a huge asset as well. Thanks again!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...