Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tested: Fedora Hat by Elegance & Elephants


It's a fedora! For little kids!

I'm not ashamed to admit it. When I finished sewing this up as a test for Heidi of Elegance & Elephants, I popped it on my head and immediately started strutting around the house. It's impossible to wear a fedora and not strut.

Apparently if you're Lee, it's impossible to wear a fedora and not pose with a finger on your chin as if you're pondering life's ultimate mystery. For Lee, fedora = secret agent.

Fedora = Cool.

Heidi's so super talented. Her designs are fresh, classic, and really just cool. This one's no different.


I made this hat from a pair of thrifted men's wool pants. They were slightly moth-eaten, but the brown wool was lush and lovely. With a 46" waist and 34" inseam, there's enough fabric to make another fedora for Daniel. That's a good thing because he wants one badly. So does Ryan.


I'd call this an Intermediate pattern. It's tougher than a beginner pattern, but wasn't too difficult. The hardest part for me was making sure to sew slowly to avoid puckers. Everything is a big circle -- and when attaching pieces in a circle, things have a tendency to stretch and move and pucker.

The heavyweight interfacing also makes things a bit challenging.

There's a lot of topstitching, so my advice is to take it slow, slow, slow. And measure -- the size is based on head circumference, not age.




The lining is some Riley Blake I had in my stash. The only thing I had to purchase was heavyweight interfacing. (Did I tell you I've vowed to buy no new fabric for six months? Yeah. There's that.) (I've given myself one possible exception. The FLIP this Pattern series for October. My budget for that is $20.)

Stats:
Pattern: Fedora Hat by Elegance & Elephants (soon to be released)
Fabric: Thrifted wool pants, Riley Blake Wheels
Size: XL. The fit was perfect.
Thoughts: This pattern was well written and designed. The steps are clear, and the end result is pretty much the coolest thing EVER.

Daniel wants one, Ryan wants one, and I want one.

Eliza needs one, too. With a flower.

Hold me. It's too much cuteness to imagine.

Keep an eye out. This pattern will be released soon. I predict it'll be a HUGE hit.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Michelle! What a stylin' boy (I mean Secret Agent) you've got there! I love how your hat turned out....so awesome! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Heidi! You know it's a hit when he doesn't want to take it off!

      Delete
  2. adorable! my kids would love this hat and i even have some leftover wool from other projects. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a lovely pattern. :)

      Delete
  4. Hello ,
    I am a Belgian grandma and I will order this very interesting pattern.
    You made such a lovely kid's Fedora.
    Thank you for all advice to sew slowly.
    May I ask what kind of interfacing stuff you used for your hat ?
    I do'n understand exactly what means : heavyweight interfacing.
    Did you use a sort of pellon ?
    Thank you .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, I used Pellon Decor Bond heavyweight interfacing. I believe Pellon makes a non-woven heavyweight for apparel, which Heidi recommends for the pattern, but the heavyweight Decor Bond is all my store had and it worked.

      Delete
  5. I think girls and boys that are wearing Fedoras look pretty and handsome.
    Handmade Fedoras

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...