Sunday, September 8, 2013

Popover Sundress Remix (PR&P Week 1)

It's here! The first week of Project Run and Play begins tomorrow!

*out of breath from jumping up and down*

*catching breath*

Okay. I'm calm now. And I promise that's the extent of my effusiveness over PR&P. For today.

The first week's challenge is to remix the lovely Popover Sundress from Oliver + S. My first attempt - found HERE - was the vision I had in mind, but it needed a few tweaks. 

Here's the final result! 




The first version had a tendency to slide off her shoulders at times. I took the advice of a lovely reader and widened the shoulder straps. Problem solved! Fortunately I didn't need any kind of opening in the back as it still (barely) slipped over her head. (She has to raise both her arms and slide into it wedding-dress style, but it works.)

Also, I narrowed the depth of the flutter sleeves to make them shorter and to make it easier to sew the main body to the lining.

The last thing I changed in this version was to make it fully reversible and a little longer in length.

Here are a few pictures I took along the way to show you how I manipulated the yoke.

First I folded it in half length-wise along the dotted fold line already present on the pattern. Then I folded it again width-wise.


Finally I laid tracing paper over the folded pattern piece and added a seam allowance and shoulder strap.


Here are some detailed shots. The blue piping doesn't stand out too much, but I like the subtlety of it. The flutter sleeves are a modified version of the ones included with the Georgia Vintage Dress pattern from The Cottage Mama.


This time as I was finishing the hem I decided to let a little of the gingham lining peep through.


Here's the reversed side's sleeve and yoke.





Stats
Pattern: Modified Popover Sundress by Oliver + S (free!)
Fabric: green gingham and vintage feed sack from my grandmother's stash.

My grandmother has supplied me with enough gorgeous fabric to make my 6-month-fabric-buying-abstinence pledge realistic. You will all hear me wail when my feed sacks are gone. Wail. I. Will.
Modifications: Modified yoke, shortened length, added ruffle sleeves, added piping below yoke, made it reversible.
Thoughts: Two other patterns have come out recently that have a similar style: The Sally Dress by Shannon of luvinthemommyhood and the Fly Girl Pattern from Little Lizard King. I didn't see those before I designed/made my first version, but they're similar! They're both really cute patterns with lots of details and options for customizing.

The Project Run and Play blog will be FULL of inspiration this week -- the contestants and sew-alongers will be sharing their makes. Hop over and visit!

27 comments:

  1. Love this! The gingham and vintage floral work so well together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought it makes for a sweet combination.

      Delete
  2. Very sweet popover remix, Michelle! YEA for PR&P....we're doing a 'happy dance' as well for its return!! Completely jealous over your vintage feed sacks and fabric....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've still got enough feed sacks for a few more small projects -- I've got to squeeze them all in while she's little because my cuts are small! They are such a treasure.

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! I love the attention to detail with it being reversible and the gingham peeking through the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really lovely shirt! I love the fabric from your grandmother, what a great gift! I really like that you made it completely reversible, i think i'll try my hand at that next time.

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wanted to utilize as much of the fabric as I could, so being reversible fit that goal.

      Delete
  5. This is just adorable! I love the fabric combo and those sleeves are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sleeves. And I am also doing the dance, but I still have to put up my post with my remix. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's so much fun to sew along to this series.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Justine! After seeing your precious vintage pattern dress today, I'd like to try my hand at chambray! :)

      Delete
  8. This is ADORABLE! I love the sleeves! Great remix of the outfit!

    I'd love for you to link to our Fall Clothing Series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, so sweet! Love how you've finished the hemline with the gingham.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! I love the widened shoulders and flutter sleeves...it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so sweet! I love the vintage look of the style and fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a really sweet remix! I love the addition of the flutter sleeves...I can't get enough of little girls in flutter sleeves. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore this! I wanted to remix this pattern (and ran out of time) but I said it would be so cute as a top....and it is!!! I love the changes you made and the fabric choice is AWESOME!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to let you know that you were featured today at my blog Get Your Crap Together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute, Michelle! I adore the fabric and the shape of the dress. Great remix!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The color combo is so pretty and this reversible version is adorable. Great job Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE your take on this pattern! I like the way you made it reversible and gave it the shoulder seams and flutter sleeves. Charming design!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...