Friday, October 25, 2013

Sunki FLIP -- VOTING Time!

**Voting for this month's Flip this Pattern series begins today! There were four awesome creations this month -- all outerwear! It only takes a second to hop over and choose your favorite.


When Emily and Ashley asked me to be a part of this series, I was humbled and thrilled. Flipping patterns is one of my favorite sewing activities, and there's been a ton of inspiration so far!

The Sunki tunic and leggings have such beautiful details. 

For months I ruminated, dreamed, and conceptualized.

Here's my FLIP!
 





I had three criteria for this flip:

a) it had to include my favorite Sunki details.

b) it had to be practical and have lots of wear potential.

c) it had to cost under $20 for the ensemble, minus shoes.

It took several practice muslins to get it how I wanted it, but the result is just as I'd imagined.


First, the elements I kept:

-the darling pleated sleeves

-the awesome side panels

-the simple a-line silhouette

Now for what I changed:

-re-drafted the neckline

-added a collar

-omitted the back seam and moved it around front to allow for a button/snap closure (2-year-old "No, I do it!" friendly, of course.)

-modified the envelope shoulder to a straight seam

-added self-made piping to the pocket seams, shoulder seam, and collar

-completely lined the inside, including a reinforced bias-bound panel at the placket

-added belt loops and tie belt to complete the trench coat look

-added cuffs to the sleeves

The leggings stayed exactly as is. However, I did cut two sizes larger to give her lots of ease and growing room. The fabric I used for the leggings was medium weight denim, so it had minimal stretch and wouldn't have been comfortable as tight leggings.

I also added a Flashback Skinny Tee (with a little more ease added) in the same fabric as the lining.

And what trench coat would be complete without a fedora? This one was made with the Elegance and Elephants Fedora Hat pattern (which I love!).

Nitty Gritty Details:

Fabric: lightweight denim, Robert Kaufman for handmade piping/bias trim (both bought at Let's Sew in Evansville, IN), upcycled twill for the fedora, and vintage curtain panel (fabric from M. Lowenstein and Sons) for the contrast/lining on the Sunki and lining for the fedora.


Thank you so much for letting me share this with you! It's been a blast creating it and being a part of this spectacular series.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your flip! I would buy a pattern for that jacket kind of in love :) Fantastic perfect flip!
    Bonnie MS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great inside and out ~ I voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Michelle! I love the jacket and the details are so beautiful--I love when a garment looks just as nice on the inside as it does on the outside. Thanks for your sweet comments on my work as well :) Got to love sewing for boys!!! Those exposed seam raglans look cool...I think I will have to try that technique for my Will!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...