Monday, January 13, 2014

PR&P Week One: Winter Wonderland

I envisioned this dress way back in late summer when I started thinking about Eliza's winter clothes. It started with the Georgia Vintage Dress pattern, and I knew it would have taffeta with a sheer overlay.

Once I got to Joann in November to select fabrics, I realized my exact vision would need tweaking because of the fabrics available. It was only my second time buying fabric since June (I'm sewing through my stash), so it took FOREVER to decide. I was there until they made "last call." (My favorite time to shop at Joann, by the way. It's so quiet.)









Details

Pattern: Georgia Vintage Dress by The Cottage Mama
Fabric: Teal taffeta, white-with-silver-dots quilting cotton, sheer snowflake overlay -- all from Joann.
Notions: The buttons are vintage from my grandmother's stash. They're gorgeous -- navy with a teal shimmer.
Size: 2T. The fit is perfect.
Modifications: I shortened the sash ever so slightly, simply because of a fabric shortage.
Thoughts: I've got so much love for this pattern. It will be our go-to fancy dress pattern until Eliza outgrows it. (The pattern goes through size 10!)

Working with that sheer overlay fabric was a nightmare. It didn't press at all, so hemming it was awful. I'm digging the effect, but man. Synthetics suck.

The center front sash portion is a little narrow; best I can tell I had a bigger seam allowance than was necessary. Such voluminous gathers still challenge me occasionally when it comes to maintaining consistent seam allowance.

The collar had a tendency to pop up a little, so I simply hand-tacked down the front and back. It's invisible and keeps it lying flat. I may use that cheater tip again.

Overall I'm really pleased with the dress. And, of course, Eliza loves it. She paired it with her pink sparkly shoes and called it perfect.

*I used Hayley's tutorial for setting up an indoor photo backdrop. I decided to use a gigantic piece of wood (8x4) rather than fabric because it was easier than dealing with wrinkles and finding somewhere to hang fabric. I simply covered the wood with white contact paper, added a primed white baseboard, and leaned it up against the back of the couch in our family room. These photos were taken this morning (cloudy! cold! shocker!) and I'm super pleased with the result. The best part is she didn't even have to shiver. It made things much smoother. And I can turn it upright to use for a backdrop for my big-girl projects. Score!

23 comments:

  1. Those fabrics are darling together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karly! Looking forward to seeing your creation tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. So pretty! I love the way the sleeves look a little like wings and your photo setup worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! I'm glad to have an alternative to outdoor shots this time of year. Good luck -- I know your creation will be stellar!

      Delete
  3. oh so pretty! the fabrics go perfect together. I regret not picking up that snowflake sheer at Joann before they ran out. also, I would've never known you used a backdrop instead of a wall in your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! Our Joann ran out of the snowflake, too, I think. They had two bolts of it. Even though it was tough to work with, it did make a sweet overlay.

      Delete
  4. I really like the sleeves. They were a perfect choice for the fabric. Glad to read the advice about the sheer fabric nightmare. Your advice will make me think twice before purchasing it in the future.
    Deborah
    sewmuchtogive.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! It was challenging to work with, but I was glad I gave it a shot. A rolled hem would've been ideal, but it just wouldn't cooperate. Sheer fabrics are easier if they at least accept pressing!

      Delete
  5. That's beautiful, Michelle! I love the use of different fabrics. And I'm so glad you are enjoying the pattern. It's my favorite too!! Any chance I'll see you next month at Martha Pullen? It was so great meeting you when I was teaching last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! I was on the waiting list and got the call of an open spot, but I'm running the New Orleans marathon the weekend before and can't make it.

      Truthfully, I'd rather be in Huntsville!!! Maybe this summer. Definitely next February.

      Delete
    2. We've been insisting she come again as well!! Good luck on your run....we'll be thinking of you in a few days. Great job on the Georgia dress - your blue and silver tones definitely look Winter Wonderland-ish....

      Delete
  6. What a sweet little dress! I'm in love with your fabric choices - LOVE that teal taffeta!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snowflake overlay just screams winter to me! I love the colors you used and the dress is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures are great so I'm totally checking out those tips! And I love the blue in the dress. It's such a gorgeous color - perfect with her eyes. The ring is cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hahahaha!

      I can't believe you spotted that ring!

      Alida (Alida Makes) had a great video tutorial about taking photos in the garage with a fabric back drop. I just couldn't find a big enough, stain-free amount of fabric and wasn't interested in ironing. Hayley used peg board, and that appealed to me. I'll just leave it propped in the garage when it's not in use.

      Delete
  9. gorgeous colors and fabrics.... I would have never guessed that about your backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sweet and pretty! That shade of blue is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The wood backdrop is brilliant! It looks just like a pro photo backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet and feminine dress! Love it, Michelle.---and I need a backdrop like that for cold Idaho! I fear child-protective services may be tracking me down for letting my girls pose in short sleeves/sleeveless in the middle of winter !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! For her peacock coat, I made her pose outside with no tights and a short skirt. It was on a busy street, and I was afraid some well meaning passerby would shout at me!

      Delete
  13. Isn't it frustraiting when no one has created the fabric you have in mind? That happens to me often. However, your outfit turned out lovely! I really like the silver snowflake over lay.
    Great Job Momma!
    with love,
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooo that snowflake overlay is adorable!! I love her look in those photos ;o) I also linked up to Project Run and Play... a bathrobe I made for my son! Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love love that sparking dress! The colors you use are going very well together. Surely winter elegance indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...