Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Sew All 26: P is for Polka Dots and Peacocks


Katy (No Big Dill) has been hosting a fabulous series called "Sew All 26." Together she, some guests, and sew-alongers have been creating their way through the alphabet. Today I'm joining in for the letter P!


It started with the coat. I was itching to make a turquoise corduroy jacket in a pea coat style. I waffled between the Oliver + S Sunday Brunch Jacket and the Make it Perfect Uptown Girl jacket. Finally I settled on a pattern from my own collection: Simplicity 2629. It's a vintage reprint of a layette collection from the '40s. 

I sketched a gigantic peacock design and used upcycled fabric (also used here), scrap fabric, and lots of matching thread. (I'm a little fanatical in my applique technique.)


I added a ruffle to the front yoke seam, some piping to the collar, and used the buttons from the original upcycled shirt dress. It closes with little thread button loops.



The shirt is the Figgy's Patterns Ayashe Blouse. The polka dot fabric is pale pink -- some I picked up from the fabric store two blocks from our old home in Black Mountain. It was on clearance, and I bought all they had.


My practice version of the blouse was a size 2/3, and it was a tad big. Unfortunately the 18-month size I made this time was a little small. I had to make the neck hole bigger and use a thread loop and button to keep things closed.

I love the details on this shirt. The gathers at the shoulder, the mandarin collar, the elastic waist, and the gathers in the back. . . so sweet.


The skirt (also the Ayashe) is made from denim I had stashed to make Thurlows. (I've decided to make Thurlow shorts instead.) It's a medium-weight denim, and the buttons are some of my grandmother's vintage goodies. I was afraid they were over-the-top (says the girl who appliqued a life-size peacock on a coat), but I'm digging them now.




Sometimes I feel torn between bold colors and pastels. I'm attracted to both! And I fluctuate between loving hip, modern styles and classic, traditional ones. With this ensemble, I've worked it all in!

Stats

Patterns: Ayashe from Figgy's Patterns (blouse and skirt), Simplicity 2629 (jacket)
Fabric: corduroy (bought at Hancock Fabrics last year), polka dot quilting cotton (bought at Carolina Foam and Fabric last year), medium weight denim (bought from Fabric.com last year)
Size: 18 month (blouse), 2T (skirt), Large (jacket)
Modifications: lengthened jacket, added button loop closure to blouse
Thoughts: Figgy's patterns are true to size in my experience. I should've stuck with the 2/3 for the blouse. The skirt fits perfectly. The jacket is extremely wide in the shoulders but otherwise fits well.

The most important part is that she really, really likes it!

30 comments:

  1. i love the oversized peacock appliqué! i've eyed this blouse pattern but haven't tried it yet. love the whole outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the soft pink with the modern style of the shirt. It gives such a nice twist to classic style. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect presentation of your P project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this outfit! The Figgy's Ayashe pattern is one of my all time favorites, and in fact, I am planning to make my daughter another one very soon out of voile. And the peacock coat! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -- an Ayashe in voile is on my spring/summer list, too!

      Delete
  5. wow, gorgeous!!! That peacock is so lovely! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it all! Also, P is for pockets :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh my gosh this is stunning!!! I LOVE all three pieces. Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! I'm in awe of that peacock appliqué. It's so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took forever, but I'm pleased with the end result.

      Delete
  9. Michelle, I thought I commented on this the first time I saw it, but I came back after seeing it in the project run & play link up to give you another shout out. I'm so glad I did, cause I must have been on my phone the first time and I never commented. I love that peacock. It is so well pieced. And the color is perfect with her eyes. I have been on a figgy's kick lately so of course I adore this blouse. I think the details are really lovely. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! I had to chuckle when I read this. If I had a dime for every time I've started a response, thought I responded, etc. . .

      I'm loving Figgy's, too. Her designs are just so unique.

      Delete
  10. love the whole outfit but that peacock applique is oh so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So....as Ashley told you, I'm partial to peacocks --- being the teacher of a 1st grade "Peacock Class"!! Cute interpretation of your 'signature style!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! Ha! Yes, we plotted an outfit for you --- a similar jacket, some feather earrings already in your collection. . .

      Delete
  12. Wow! Love the jacket! I have that pattern but I never would have thought to change it up in this way. I'll never look at it as an uninspiring jacket again! Love the buttons on the skirt, too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! It's a sweet, basic pattern. It runs a tad big and boxy, but has lots of potential. I'm sad Eliza's just about outgrown it!

      Delete
  13. Okay, just a warning...if your daughter's jacket is missing some day, it's because I came and stole it! Absolutely perfect! You can see our sew along submission to Project Run & Play here: http://skirtfixation.com/2014/02/t-shirt-dress-outfit/

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this outfit! That peacock is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always so impressed by your applique! Such attention to detail--I'm afraid I don't have enough patience to do applique the right way :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the peacock jacket but that blouse is killing me!!! So cute!!!-liZ

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, she is amazingly adorable!! I'm about to sew up an Ayesha and was browsing for inspiration, and was so happy to land on your blog. I'm pretty sure that I bought the bubble pocket shorts pattern last year right after seeing your version of turning it into a romper last year. So adorable. Hope mine turns out as good as yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin! Good luck -- the Ayashe is precious.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...