Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tested: Santa Cruz Henley by Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop

Here's a yet-to-be-released pattern from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop:

The Santa Cruz. (It's for boys or girls. The girl's version is named the Virginia Beach.)


The pattern has lots of options: hooded, Henley with buttons or snaps, short or long sleeves, dress with gathers at the chest or without. And it goes up to size 12! I've seen testers' versions of several sizes, and I'm determined to sew myself a sized-up version this summer. Amy's still tweaking and tuning, and the pattern will be released next Thursday.


I used knit from my stash -- the green is an organic knit. It's so super soft.


the walking foot helped me line up the stripes

I couldn't decide on fabric placement, so I decided to do a double sleeve. I'm not sold on it, to tell the truth. But man, this shirt looks comfortable. Do you ever finish something for your kids and get jealous watching them wear it? No? Just me?


one more for the grandparents. or for a passport photo.

Details:

Pattern: The Santa Cruz (and Virginia Beach) from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop
Fabric: interlock from my stash
Size: 6  
Modifications: Amy gives you instructions on the best time to narrow it down if you prefer a slimmer fit. I waited until the entire shirt was finished to try it on and decide to adjust the width. The perils of sewing after bedtime and not fitting as I go. . .

Added a double sleeve, which isn't in the pattern.
Thoughts: This is the first time I've sewn a Peek-a-Boo Pattern. I KNOW! For shame! I've bought them and just haven't sewn them up. I've already decided to add several others to my Spring List.

I like that the sizes print in different colors, she includes a pattern piece for the neck band, and if you follow the cutting lines your notches magically appear after the pieces are cut out. She's prolific, and I can see why her patterns are so popular. 

Last week I finished a Burda blouse for myself, so it was refreshing to have a pattern that included seam allowances and actual pictures with the instructions. Gah. Burda.

My button holes turned out perfectly. After the drama my machines gave me on this project (witches), that was a blooming miracle.

Also, please don't tell Sheila (my Singer) that I just called her a witch.

(20 points if you noticed the stripes on my sleeves were reversed from the body of the shirt. Not on purpose.)

I'm going to add my Peacock coat and Figgy's outfit to the Project Run & Play pool next week for Signature Style. The kids have (more than) enough winter clothes, and I couldn't justify sewing along with Kids Clothes Week or cranking out new stuff for PR&P. It's been neat to see everyone else's creations, though.

Sew away, sewing friends! You all inspire me!

2 comments:

  1. Your boy is THE cutest. That last picture...oh! I love the top of this pattern, and also love how professional it works. That green fabric is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Monica! The green fabric is super soft. I wish I'd had enough to make a t-shirt for myself!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...