Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tested: Stellar's Vest from Elegance & Elephants

I've been longing for a vest pattern for the boys for a while now, and Heidi has delivered a great one with the latest Elegance and Elephants pattern. (It'll be released soon!)

It's the Stellar Vest. The pattern includes a dress option (with pockets) and is designed to be layered. It's a quick, easy sew and doesn't use a great deal of fabric. (About a yard for Lee's size.)


For this test version, I used two of Ryan's old vests. I probably could have used just one vest and kept the original arm and neck bands, but because I was testing it was important to stick to the pattern's measurements and not fiddle with widths.



Here's what I really liked: the proportions of the bands are scaled appropriately, the pattern and instructions are well executed, the fit is just right for layering, and it's a great wardrobe staple.

The only challenge I had was centering the "V" and making sure it was neat. And not melting the synthetic fabric when I pressed it.


Stats:
Pattern: Stellar's Vest and Dress from Elegance & Elephants
Fabric: Upcycled Docker's vest
Size: 6
Modifications: None
Thoughts: I'll be using this pattern for the boys' Spring photos outfit! I'll choose the fabric to coordinate with Eliza's dress, and the vest will be layered over a plain white dress shirt and chino pants. Vests are kind of our thing for Spring photos.

Now if I could just find a location as gorgeous as Biltmore. . . (here are our last three years' photos) 






4 comments:

  1. Yep! You really do have the cutest models! I see that the Stellar vest is making it's way around the blogosphere, and yours is indeed stellar! It can be tricky working with faux leathers, not to mention mitering that neckline corner. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! Mitering the neckline is a bit tricky. I'd like to stick with a medium weight knit next time to make things easier.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...