Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Completed: Eliza's Easter Ensemble









Details:
Pattern: Oliver+S Music Class Blouse and Skirt
Size: 18-24mo (shirt) / 2T skirt
Fabric: 100% linen (shirt) / September Light by Lida Enche for In the Beginning fabrics 2011 (skirt) -- both bought at Waechter's Fine Fabrics
Modifications: None
Fit: Perfect
Pros: 
  • The shoulder pleat detail is gorgeous, as is the pleating at the front and back bodice pieces.
  • Oliver+S patterns have an outstanding reputation for good reason. I just bought three more (at 75% off, no less)** because they are That Good.
  • All the notches fit where they were supposed to. All the raw edges lined up where they were supposed to. I'm not sure that's ever happened to me before.
  • The design of the pieces are classic and precious. 
  • I learned new skills of hemming (I'll always baste a guide line from now on) and gathering (I've never gathered with a row at 3/8" and 5/8" with the stitch line at 1/2". Wow.)
  • The skirt took two hours. That's it. And I'm slow as molasses in January. (Or April, which is apparently still winter in these parts.)

Cons:
There aren't any cons to the pattern, but I have a few cons for me:

  • Next time I'll use snaps. The linen pulled as I was cutting the button holes. There's nothing worse than completing an entire garment that takes HOURS and then having the fabric pull when doing the LAST step. Button holes. Gah.
  • As much as I love linen in theory, it just wrinkles too easily. Linen/Rayon blend would be a good alternative.
  • Collars with plackets are so hard for me. Why? I don't know.
  • I decided to gather the side skirt panels because I was tired of pleating and figured the fabric was too busy to show that detail.
  • The placket looks uneven in the photos, but it didn't look like that in real life. Hmm. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could adjust the buttons and fix it, but I don't want to. The yoke seams line up fine.
I'm making basic knit vests and bow ties for the boys. Tonight. I'd best get off here and get to it!

**Unfortunately, at the time of this posting Waechter's was already closed for business and was not filling online orders. They're currently attempting to fix the online hosting to reflect their closing.

15 comments:

  1. Oh how darling is she?? I love this Easter ensemble! (And thanks for the tip on that awesome sale! I just bought 3 indie patterns and 5 yards of fabric for less than $50 -- including shipping!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I just called Waechter's this morning, and they're not fulfilling online orders. Booooo. She said they've been trying to communicate with their host, but can't get it fixed. I'm bummed.

      Delete
  2. Love this outfit. so cute on your sweet /beautiful model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, i love them. Additionally, your model is so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's a hoot, that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. Yea for Eliza's Easter ensemble!!! She is too, too cute!! The music class skirt has been on our "to do" list for entirely too long. **Must. Make. Time. For. It!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's really a simple sew. With piping, fabric variations, etc. the options are endless.

      Delete
  5. Really like how this outfit came together, such wonderful colors/fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Say that 10 times fast...Such a great outfit! And I really love the fabric for the skirt! As for linen, just embrace the wrinkliness of it...it's just such a great feeling fabric. Still bummed I didn't get to meet you. Keeping my fingers crossed it will work out in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I found myself saying, "Just embrace the wrinkles" this weekend when she wore it to church. :) Yes! We will meet in June, I hope!

      Delete
  7. That is a lovely outfit. The details are amazing. It looks like something a girl would have worn in the 1940s and yet also so very modern. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a high compliment, for sure.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Rachel! I wish I'd gotten more of the dragon fly fabric. It's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the outfit. What a cutie pie! Thanks for using fabric from my collection. The skirt is darling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...