Pattern: Oliver+S Music Class Blouse and Skirt
Size: 18-24mo (shirt) / 2T skirt
Fabric: 100% linen (shirt) / September Light by Lida Enche for In the Beginning fabrics 2011 (skirt) -- both bought at Waechter's Fine Fabrics
- The shoulder pleat detail is gorgeous, as is the pleating at the front and back bodice pieces.
- Oliver+S patterns have an outstanding reputation for good reason. I just bought three more (at 75% off, no less)** because they are That Good.
- All the notches fit where they were supposed to. All the raw edges lined up where they were supposed to. I'm not sure that's ever happened to me before.
- The design of the pieces are classic and precious.
- I learned new skills of hemming (I'll always baste a guide line from now on) and gathering (I've never gathered with a row at 3/8" and 5/8" with the stitch line at 1/2". Wow.)
- The skirt took two hours. That's it. And I'm slow as molasses in January. (Or April, which is apparently still winter in these parts.)
There aren't any cons to the pattern, but I have a few cons for me:
- Next time I'll use snaps. The linen pulled as I was cutting the button holes. There's nothing worse than completing an entire garment that takes HOURS and then having the fabric pull when doing the LAST step. Button holes. Gah.
- As much as I love linen in theory, it just wrinkles too easily. Linen/Rayon blend would be a good alternative.
- Collars with plackets are so hard for me. Why? I don't know.
- I decided to gather the side skirt panels because I was tired of pleating and figured the fabric was too busy to show that detail.
- The placket looks uneven in the photos, but it didn't look like that in real life. Hmm. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could adjust the buttons and fix it, but I don't want to. The yoke seams line up fine.
I'm making basic knit vests and bow ties for the boys. Tonight. I'd best get off here and get to it!
**Unfortunately, at the time of this posting Waechter's was already closed for business and was not filling online orders. They're currently attempting to fix the online hosting to reflect their closing.