Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Completed: A Vintage Matinee

Today I'm a stop on Jennuine Design's Matinee Dress tour!

My stack of feed sack fabric is quickly dwindling, so I'm selective in choosing projects for it. This dress was the perfect opportunity to dig through my stash and find a great combination.




Here's the original description of the pattern:
The Matinee Dress and Peplum Top features a pseudo bateau neckline with a plunging open back. A simple sash at the empire waistline adds interest and closes the middle back. There are several options for customization: cap sleeves, a contrasting hem band, and dress or peplum lengths.

I made quite a few changes to the pattern. Eliza measured in 12/18 months for the chest and waist, so I stuck with that width and used the 3T length. I lengthened the skirt and shortened the bodice. I moved the sash to the waist and made it into a belt that closes with a large hook and eye. I used ric-rac to keep the shoulders up. And finally, I made the width of the skirt pieces for the size 8 dress so it would be fuller.




Stats:
Pattern: Matinee Dress from Jennuine Designs
Fabric: All fabric is from my stash: the floral fabric is a vintage feed sack.
Size: Combination of 12/18 month, 3T, and 8 as described above.

This is one of the nicest PDF patterns I've used. The sizes are nested, so you only have to print out the size(s) you need. Jenn has been so thorough in her instructions; she caught potential mistakes before I had a chance to make them. The diagrams are simple and easy to follow. For these reasons, this pattern would make a nice one for Confident Beginners.


During the tour, Jenn is offering the Matinee pattern for 20% off with the code matineetour20 in her pattern shop.

She's also collected an awesome assortment of prizes for a giveaway! Enter the Rafflecopter giveaway here!!


Thanks for having me, Jenn!

6 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the matinee pattern. The fuller skirt makes such a difference. How you managed to put all those fabrics together and make it look fabulous, I do not know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is absolutely adorable!! (as is your little girl!) I love it!!! That fabric combination is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really love this! Just a few little changes and the whole look is so different! I also notice that it has a very subtle red, white, and blue color pallette and the feed sack floral just says "American" to me in a really sweet way. Perfect for attending an Independence Day parade, right? Thanks again, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love the lower sash change...and that fabric??!! Beautiful.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. what great color/fabric choices, super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally catching up on the tours I've been a part of (moving has taken front and center) and I have to say this dress is DARLING! Love the changes you made, the fabric choices and cute model! Wish we could have met in person sometime in Nashville...sadly moving a little further away.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...