Monday, June 2, 2014

FLIP this Pattern: Zonen 09 Charlie flip!

The über-talented ladies over at Frances Suzanne just celebrated the year anniversary of the Flip This Pattern series! They're starting up another round this summer, and the competitors are sure to come up with some fantastic pieces!

I had so much fun flipping the Sunki last year and jumped at the chance to be a part of things this time around. So, I'm thrilled to introduce the first pattern in the series: Charlie from Zonen 09. This pattern is simultaneously hip and classic. Here's a peek at my flip, which I'll get to in a bit:


Charlie is a lined, knitted shirt with a lapel collar that comes in sizes 2y - 9y. There are both short and long sleeved versions, and the shirt hem and sleeves are cuffed.

source
The way the collar lies is so cool -- it allows the lining to show and makes it different from other collared shirts I've seen.

The Zonen 09 Flikr pool has dozens of variations of Charlie. (In fact, I could get lost for days in the Zonen 09 Flikr pool. There are so many clean, sharp, modern photos and clothes there!)

Here's one of my favorites:

 source
source
I should probably mention it's a Dutch pattern available in English, so you may have to use Google translate to read the posts to which I'm linking.

You'll see lots of girls' variations of the Charlie:

Charlene by Khadetjes

And a few fantastic flips like this one:

source
When it came time to make my own Charlie, I chose to flip it, too. My boys don't need any shirts right now, so I decided to sew something for Eliza. Would you believe she's never had a nightgown? She's worn mostly her brothers' hand-me-down pajamas -- fleece footies with dump trucks and dinosaurs. She doesn't mind those, but it was time for her own sleepwear.

I found this fabric at Jo-Ann and knew immediately it was destined to become a nightgown. A Charlie Nightgown. 


Here's a list of the changes I made to the original pattern:
  • omitted the collar
  • added tiny ties to the front slit
  • used the largest sleeve size to allow for an elasticized hem and gathered sleeve cap
  • extended to gown length
It's lined with Ryan's old t-shirts, so the inside is soft and well worn.






Thoughts
  • I sewed a size 2y. She's got an extremely narrow chest. If your child measures smaller than RTW, I would caution to consider head size before sizing down too far. This goes over her head, but it's a close fit. It would be an easy fix if you plan ahead and make the slit a little lower.
  • Seam allowances aren't included in this pattern. I'm planning to invest in a compass like the ones we had in high school geometry to aid in consistency in adding seam allowances/grading/etc. I stink at it. It might be easier to fold the pattern pieces in half to ensure symmetry in your newly drawn cutting lines.
Hop on over to Frances Suzanne to get a discount code for your own Charlie pattern, and sew along to qualify for spectacular prizes! Be sure to check out the rest of the summer's series -- I'm eager to see all the creativity headed our way!



27 comments:

  1. Love your flip! What a gorgeous nightgown you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marta! She really liked it.

      Delete
  2. So sweet and classic! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica! I kind of want one, too!

      Delete
  3. What a great flip, Michelle! Love it! And I know what you mean about your girl wearing older brother's hand-me-downs. Same thing here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! It's so sweet to see her in her brothers' old pjs. Someday I'd like to make a quilt out of them since they're the only clothes that have been repeatedly worn by all of them. :)

      Delete
  4. Great flip!! I love the fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! It jumped out at me immediately with the sweet scallop detail. I'm afraid the photos didn't capture the true color -- it's more rose than bright pink. Very sweet.

      Delete
  5. I say just wear that sucker like a maxi dress! It is adorable! Way too cute for a nightgown!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You'd have been proud. She put it on with her pink embroidered cowboy boots and rhinestone-encrusted sunglasses and trotted her way around the farmer's market. She marches to the beat of her own (very pink and frilly) drum. Ha!

      Delete
  6. Such a sweet nightgown--I love you left off the collar and added the tie. It makes it very feminine and pretty --my girls would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that fabric! It is perfect for the nightgown. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great "outside of the box" thinking on this one, Michelle!!! Thanks so much for joining us once again in "Flip this Pattern!" I'm so glad it was such a success with Eliza :)....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Michelle! Such a clever idea you came up with and what fun fabric you found!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your flip Michelle and your daughter looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a cute flip, I really love it. And what a surprise to see one of my own flips over here :) Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous!! I'll bet your little girl loves her first nightgown! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful!! Nightgowns on little girls are so precious :) I absolutely adore the sleeves!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute, Michelle! What a great flip. And your daughter is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is darling! a great way to kick off another year of Flip This Pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic version! I've been sitting on this pattern for over a year now and need to get my act together and get started. I love the full dress length (does it twist around her when she sleeps - that always my daughter's objection to long nightgowns)? I love that you kept things simple but the changes you did make are so effective - particularly like those sweet gathered sleeves. Yay for flip the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! That's my objection to nightgowns, too -- the end up somewhere around my waist. She hasn't complained about it, but she may once the novelty of wearing a dress to bed wears off. Ha.

      Delete
  17. I love it! I was just trying to decide what pattern to use for some new nightgowns, and I never would have considered this one. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! I usually squeeze a pattern into my needs of the moment. Sometimes it even works out! Ha.

      Delete
  18. Oh what a beautiful version of the pattern! So sweet, girly and comfy! Sweet dreams little Eliza :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...