Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Completed: Burda Folk Skirt (03/2013 #123)

My favorite summer skirt came from Tuesday Morning -- the absolute last place I would expect to find a flowing, gauzy, loudly floral, totally hippy-esque maxi skirt. For $15. 

That skirt is my adult-version Woobie -- it's been worn threadbare, and I'm convinced if it disappeared someone would have to go out to find it or find me a replacement.

To fend off potential heartbreak, I decided to make a replacement in the form of Burda 03/2013 #123 -- the Folk Skirt (pattern included with the summer edition of the magazine).






Stats:
Pattern: Burda 03/2013 #123 from the summer 2013 magazine. (This was my free Burda sample. I think I'm going to subscribe.)
Fabric: Three different lightweight cotton apparel fabrics from Jo-Ann.
Size: 34
Modifications: I had to take in the sides quite a bit for fitting. I lined the top layer of the skirt -- the lining is attached at the waistband but hangs free.

Pros:
  • This skirt is so cool in the summer. It's breezy and lightweight.
  • I like the combination of fabrics. My Woobie Skirt has three fabrics that are totally different and loud and colorful, so I thought it would work here, too. I dig it.
  • The wide waistband is flattering, I think. My Woobie has an elastic waistband, which is comfortable, but not as flattering.
  • This is an easy sew. If you don't mind gathers. Tons and tons of gathers.

Cons:
  • There are no pockets.
  • This skirt is LOOOOONG. I'm 5'5" and it is probably 4" too long, which makes sense if most models are 5'9"ish. The problem is you can't simply shorten the hem. If you do that, the fabric layers will be uneven lengths and the whole proportions of the skirt will be off. My suggestion would be to check final measurements before you begin. Duh, Michelle. I can walk fine in it, but I've got six little feet stepping on it constantly because they can't walk more than two inches away from me.
  • The gathers. Oh. My. Goodness. The. Gathers. WHY do I keep choosing patterns with gathers? I love the look, but Despise. The. Gathers.
  • This skirt is a fabric hog. SOUIE! Oink. Oink. Snort.
Tips:
  • Check the length before you begin.
  • Be prepared to make adjustments to the side seams if necessary. Easy fix.
  • Mark centers and gather half or 1/4 of the skirt at a time to keep from breaking thread and to make it easier to gather consistently.
All in all this is a super easy sew. I loooove the way they styled it and even thieved four chunky belts from my mom's and sister's closets to try similar styling. But I just couldn't pull it off. I'd like to pair it with a Nettie Bodysuit (just picked up this pattern and can't wait to make one!).

How do you feel about Burda patterns? I've had mixed results with them. How about you?

5 comments:

  1. What a fun and cool boho look! I like Burda patterns a lot. Since they don't have SA you can try measuring to see if it's not too big before you cut it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do that next time. Burda has so many cool patterns -- the good thing about them is they're popular enough to have published reviews, so I can see how others have fared with them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a useful review. You've made some good points, which is very helpful because I have plans for this pattern myself in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love this skirt! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...