Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Sew Fab Sale: Margot Dress

I'm back to share another piece from the Sew Fab Pattern Sale: The Margot Dress by Violette Field Threads.




My first idea for this dress was inspired by a little girl's version I saw on their site. It was cream with a lace ruffle. Unfortunately I didn't have enough fabric to recreate that gorgeous version, but after some debating, I decided to go a totally different route.

Ashely and Emily sent me this fabric (from Girl Charlee) last summer, and when I saw it for the first time I gasped aloud with glee. It was destined to be a dress.


The Margot Dress is basic, but there are a couple of things that make it appeal to me: the neckline, the curved hem, the slim cut, and the simplicity of the design.

Thanks to my sister and her BFF, I learned how to style it for winter with tights, a cardigan, and skinny belt. But it'll work for spring and summer, too. I lined it with a comfy salmon knit from my stash.



I made three adjustments to the XS: broadened the shoulders 1/2" (using this tutorial from Colette Patterns), shortened the sleeves, and lengthened the waist 1" at the cut line.

The pattern includes 3/4 length and long sleeves, but I wanted short sleeves to be able to wear it every season.


The directions were good, but honestly, this was such an easy sew I didn't labor over them. There aren't any neck or sleeve bindings; the dress is fully lined, so if you omit the ruffle, there are only six pieces. It does take quite a bit of fabric, but it's straightforward.

The only challenge I had in sewing this up was the lining. In my experience, fully lining a garment and hemming the lining and main fabric together can get tricky if the fabric is not smoothed out properly. Because knit tends to stick together, it took some effort to make sure everything was nice and smooth before I hemmed the bottom. I did alright, but here are a couple of things to consider:
  • If your fabric weights are different for your lining and main fabric, will one knit stretch more than the other and hang differently? If so, it may affect the hemline.
  • Carefully smooth out the lining and main garment before pinning and hemming. It helped me to smooth everything while the dress was laying on the floor, pin it all around, serge the hem together, and then hem it.
(If any of you have suggestions for hemming fully lined garments, especially knit ones, I'd love to hear from you in the comments!)



The Sew Fab Pattern Sale is on through December 15th -- $29.95 for 10 brand new patterns! Here's the link with all the information and the giveaway! (I received complimentary patterns for my participation in the tour, but I keep it real about how they turn out.)

6 comments:

  1. You did it!!! And, you can definitely pull off wearing horses....don't know if we could do likewise!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I don't know if anyone can pull off wearing horses, but I'm just fearless enough to try. ;)

      Delete
  2. We love it! As far as the hemming goes...in the latest STYLO magazine, Melly Sews suggested putting your stretchiest fabric down by the feed dogs and your less stretchy fabric up. I've been trying that and it works pretty amazingly! But your dress is seriously cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip! The length gives me problems, too. I hemmed a dress a couple of years ago -- hemmed the lining and skirt together as one -- and the outer fabric shrank more than the inner fabric. The result is a hem that has the lining pulling around to the outside and hanging lower than the outer fabric. Gah!

      Delete
  3. You always look so good! You're so skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle, I would love to include this post in a round up for Sew mama Sew, please email me: kelleyetg@gmail.com for more details, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...