Tuesday, February 3, 2015

KCW: Star Wars T-Shirts

This winter's theme for Kids Clothes Week is "upcyled." I'm working on a full ensemble for Daniel that's 90% upcycled, but it likely won't be finished (and photographed and blogged) this week.

Instead I'll share some t-shirts that I've finished. A couple of months ago I loaded up on Robert Kaufman Laguna knits. I let the boys pick the colors and embellishments.

Daniel requested Darth Vader's TIE Advanced x1, and this bleaching tutorial published on Sew Country Chick suited it perfectly. It's supposed to look like it's flying through a starry sky. I was excited and went a little heavy on the bleach.




The second t-shirt is made using freezer paper, too, but instead of doing a traditional stencil version I did it in a negative-space way. I mixed blue and brown paint and intentionally thinly coated it so some of the light gray would peek through. It's an AT-AT Walker. 


I made Lee a navy shirt with a ET-AT Walker on it, too, but didn't blog it or photograph it. And now it's in the dirty clothes hamper.

There are lots of projects and deadlines this week, so I'll wrap this post up with stats.

STATS:
Pattern: Flashback Skinny Tee from Made by Rae
Size: 6 (this one's designed to be slim-fitting, so I always size up
Fabric: Robert Kaufman Laguna knit bought at Let's Sew in Evansville//Ribbing is from my stash

I HIGHLY recommend this fabric! I made the boys six shirts in this fabric, and they've been wearing them plain and patiently waiting for me to embellish them. They haven't stretched, shrunk, faded, or pilled.

For a few years I've been waffling on the logic of making their long-sleeved t-shirts and whether it's cost-effective. This fabric convinced me it's worth it. They love the softness of the fabric, and I love the quality.

5 comments:

  1. These are fabulous, I know some young lads who are a tad jealous ;) Thanks for the review on the Laguna knit as well, I was hoping it was as good as it's said to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I can't say enough good things about this knit. I'll definitely be using it again.

      Delete
  2. KCW: Star Wars T-Shirts. This winter's theme for Kids Clothes Week is "upcyled." I'm working on a full ensemble for Daniel that's 90% upcycled, ... starwarsshirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...