Sunday, April 26, 2015

Kids Clothes Week: Two Little Geraniums & a Motorcycle

Another Kids Clothes Week just wrapped up! Most of my sewing lately has been home decorating -- pillows and curtains for our master bedroom (which is finished! and will be photographed this week!).

I've been itching to sew clothes, and needed to make something for our new niece and nephew (twins) born a couple of months ago. Sewing an hour a day for a week was a perfect palate cleanser after last weekend's marathon.

Here are the finished projects!


Pattern: MADE "the perfect Diaper Cover" (free!). RTW onesie with appliqué.
Fabric: Honestly, this fabric had been in my stash for a decade, and I've since gotten rid of it. The little motorcycle was from a fabric I've used to make two pairs of pants. Michael Miller, maybe? It's old, too.
Size: 0-3 month, and the fit seems pretty average with these diaper covers.
Thoughts: I made this diaper cover a couple of years ago (and just kept it for a gift someday) and added the coordinating onesie this week. I followed Dana's directions exactly for this one and found the casings around the legs and waist cumbersome. I used a much easier (to me) method in the polka dotted ones below.


Pattern: Little Geranium by Made by Rae (free!) Lollypop Leggings by Peekaboo Patterns.
Fabric: gifted by Emily and Ashley. It reminds me of my favorite feed sack fabric. The shorts are made from a pair of women's leggings I cut apart.
Size: 0-3 months, and it fit just right. I made the tunic, and it hit just where I would expect a tunic to hit. The leggings are the shorts version, and I chose to do a yoga waistband instead of a casing. They seemed to fit well, too.
Thoughts: I want to have more baby girls just to sew a hundred of these.

The baby piping is a nice touch around the bottom of the bodice, especially with a busy fabric like this one.

This was the first time I've used snaps and oh my goodness these would have been lovely, say, when I was sewing for baby Eliza! So much easier than buttons to insert and to use!

I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend three rows of gathering stitches for even, pretty gathers. One inside the SA, one close to or right at the SA, and one outside the SA. It has made such a difference in my gathered skirts.

Also, I'd recommend topstitching around the armholes and neckline for a nicely finished look.





Pattern: Little Geranium by Made by Rae (free!) and MADE perfect diaper cover (free!)
Fabric: Alexander Henry ca. a long, long time ago. Polka dotted fabric from my sister's wedding. (I've got a whole bolt! Woohoo!)
Size: 0-3 months. Norah hasn't tried this one on, but it'll fit the same. With the band, it's about the same length as the floral one -- a tunic length. For little babies, this is a good length. The leg holes may be a little big, but without measuring her little thighs, I just went with the pattern's recommended length for the elastic.
Thoughts: I didn't get a good photo of the back, but if I did, you'd see I ran out of silver snaps and had to use one black one. Oops. She's a little baby, so her back is usually hidden by a seat or someone's body who's holding her. Also, the placket doesn't fold in like it should, but the gathers make it really difficult to see that unless you're looking for it. Overall I was still pleased with how it turned out.

For this diaper cover, I inserted the elastic like you would for a bathing suit. I sewed the elastic together first in a loop, and then stretched it and sewed it directly to the (serged) raw edges of the wrong side of the fabric. Then I turned the elastic to the inside and sewed around again on the right side of the fabric, sewing the elastic down. It was soooo much easier and neater to me.

That's all for now! I'm in the process of planning out capsule wardrobes for me and Eliza. Do you have any big sewing plans for the spring? Did you have fun sewing during KCW?

2 comments:

  1. How cute!! Glad you were able to use the fabric.....your Geranium dress is precious :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so grateful for this fabric -- it's just gorgeous, and there's enough left to make something for Eliza. :)

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...