Thursday, August 27, 2015

Not Just a Sunsuit Tour - the Silky Negligee Version

It's my turn for the Not Just a Sunsuit Tour! The Paneled Sunsuit pattern by Call Ajaire came out this summer, and it has so many possibilities and variations it'll make your eyes pop.

For my version, I made Eliza a negligee.

The girl loves to wear her grandmother's hand-me-down negligees. We tied up the shoulder straps, and she wore them every day for months last year. This year I (reluctantly) encouraged her to keep the nighties at home -- figuring it was about time to teach about covering nethers and all that.

So when I bought this silky floral fabric (via JoAnn) and later hated it, I knew it was destined to be a publicly appropriate negligee for Eliza.


First, lots of sewists on the tour have mentioned it, but I want to reiterate how MUCH INFORMATION is included in this pattern. There are countless possible variations, finished measurements, a list to print just the pages you need based on the view you choose, comprehensive instructions -- she's thought of everything. Once I chose which view I was making, I kind of blocked out the other stuff I didn't need and focused just on my view.

The maxi dress version includes pockets (don't be confused by the photo), but I didn't want them because of the lightweight fabric, so I cut two skirt backs and used one as the front.

Also, I didn't do separate pieces on the front bodice top or use piping. Instead I just cut four lining pieces and used them for both the lining and main bodice.


I started with the 18-month size in the chest and graded out to a 3T at the hip. If I had it to do over, I'd have cut the waist bigger so I'd have more gathers there. As it is , it was impossible to get the casing to lay right for photos. She said it was comfortable though.





She loved this dress so much it was tough to get her to take it off after fittings. She slept in it the night after these photos were taken. She got her wearable negligee.


To transition the maxi to late summer/early fall, I made a little shrug to match. It's corduroy, lined with the same fabric as the dress. I used her little fur shrug she wore in my sister's wedding as a template and drafted my own pattern. 

The only thing Eliza loves more than a silky dress is a little shrug with silky lining. It only took four years, but I think I'm learning how to sew what she wants to wear!




You can win a copy of the pattern for yourself in the  Rafflecopter giveaway!

Or you can use the discount Ajaire's offering to snap up a pattern right away. She's offering a 15% discount on her patterns! You can use the code SUNSUIT15 both at Upcraft Club and Etsy through the 7th of September.  



Don't forget to check out the other ladies on the tour!

Monday August 24th:  Max California | Filles √† Maman | Hey June | House of Estrela
Tuesday August 25th: Skirt Fixation | Gracious Threads | Kimmie Sew Crazy | Shaffer Sisters
Wednesday August 26th: Kid Approved | Pinkel | Falafel and the Bee | Once Upon a Sewing Machine
Thursday August 27th: Buzzmills | Pattern Revolution | Sprouting JubeJube | Handmade Martini
Friday August 28th: That's Sew Kari | Lulu & Celeste | Paisley Roots | Modern Handmade

Monday August 31st: Sew Cool for the Tween Scene | Kadiddlehopper | Imagine Gnats | Nap Time Creations
Tuesday September 1st: My Sweet Sunshine | Straight Stitch Designs | Handmade Boy | That's What She Crafted
Wednesday September 2nd: Climbing the Willow | Rebel & Malice | GYCT Designs | Two-Many
Thursday September 3rd: The Crazy Tailor | sewVery | Just Add Fabric | Delia Creates
Friday September 4th: A Jennuine Life | Conversas de Hermanas | Made by Sara | Not Sew Fast


4 comments:

  1. Haha a negligee! I love it. My younger sister always loved silky fabrics like this as a kid and would have gone nuts for a dress just like this one. It turned out great Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! And love it with the shrug. Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love,love love! Just going all emoji heart eyes over here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! It reminds me of a dress I begged my mom to make me out of a sliky fabric, but when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...