Monday, July 11, 2016

Completed: Emily Maxi Dress


Hello, friends! It's been a while! How are you? 


Eliza went and grew up while we were gone. It's heartbreaking how they do that, isn't it? On the one hand, they can wipe their own rears. On the other hand, I can't even lift Lee any more.

The good news is they ALL still love some mama mades. Eliza is learning to sew herself this summer! She's made a little pillow for her bearded dragon, Diamond. Next week we'll head to a fabric store so she can pick something to make into a skirt.

I hope your summer has been as lovely as ours. For homeschooling families, often the summer is even busier than the school year because it means we leave the house more than usual. That's been the case for us, but it's been nice to get back to moving and shaking like we did in Black Mountain. We missed going and doing and seeing and adventuring these past couple of years. (FUN MOMMY has returned! Woo to the Hoo!)


Enough catching up, here is my latest project! Not to be extreme, but THIS IS MY FAVORITE FINISHED DRESS EVERRRRR.

It's the Emily dress from Violette Field Threads, and I bought it immediately upon release. Eliza was into maxis at the time, and I had this fabric left over from when we lived in Black Mountain. It's quite possibly the perfect fabric for Eliza's skin tone and coloring. I've used it for a blouse, a romper for my adorable niece, and now this dress used the last of it. 

Here are all the pictures ---- scroll to the bottom of the post if you want the logistics and review. xo














ALL THE DETAILS
PATTERN:
Violet Field Threads Emily
The pattern has several options - including a tiered skirt and overlay. I chose the straight skirt option.
FABRIC:
Shame on Me for Not Saving the Selvage bought on clearance at Carolina Foam Fabric and Home Decor way back in 2013.
SIZE: 
3t width with 4t length 
FIT:
It was a tad snug through the bodice, but overall we were pleased with the fit. The length was perfect for her.
MODIFICATIONS:
none
INSTRUCTION NOTES:
The instructions used the burrito method to sew the sleeves closed. I don't know what it is, y'all, but I'm convinced someday I'll come across The Perfect Way to Sew a Lined Bodice. This wasn't it, but it was preferable to the way the Carly Bubble Romper was assembled.

Overall the instructions were easy to follow.
LIKES:
To be honest, there is very little (beyond the burrito) that I don't like about this pattern. I like the tiny ruffle at the neckline. I like the length, and I LOVE the little cap sleeve shape. I like the narrow tie and the amount of gathers at the waist. It's a very tasteful, classy dress with just enough drama.
DISLIKES:
The instructions call for sewing the bodice to the skirt all as one seam. For a more finished look, I sewed only the MAIN bodice fabric to the skirt and then slipstitched the lining over the seam to conceal it. (If I were really good, I could've topstitched along the outside and caught the lining fabric in the topstitching, but I can't ever get that to work.)

Have a great week everyone! I'll be back later in the week with a more casual dress as part of a tour.

WHAT'S YOUR PREFFERED METHOD OF CLOSING A LINED BODICE? TELL ME, PLEASE!


2 comments:

  1. This dress looks fantastic on your daughter! So classy! I also struggle with how to close up lined bodices... I hate all the bulk created at the waist seam and/or having to slip stitch it closed. I think next time I'll try serging the bottom edge of the bodice and topstitching from the outside along the seamline to catch the lining. It may not be the prettiest from the inside, but it does solve all the issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! That's a pretty effective way of doing it - unfortunately I always end up missing catching half of it in the stitching! Haha!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to send a response, so be sure to enable your email in your Blogger profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...